Gossip Girl Returns for Second Season

“Gossip Girl” returns with its second season, airing Monday nights at 8 p.m. on the CW. Based on the Gossip Girl series of books by Cecily von Ziegesar, the show follows the fabulous lives of a group of teenagers living on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. 

With dramatic relationships, betrayals, and scandals, many viewers find themselves addicted to the show.  Some find the show to be garbage, expressing that it is unrealistic for teenagers to live such lavish lifestyles. Then there are those people who make up most of the viewers, and those are the people who understand it is garbage, but watch it anyway, as a kind of guilty pleasure. Regardless, since “Gossip Girl” aired for the first time on Sept. 18, 2007, it has clearly become a hit show among young people and continues to attract viewers with its second season.

With the conclusion of the first season, we met characters like Serena van der Woodsen (Blake Lively), Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester), Nate Archibald (Chace Crawford), Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick), Dan Humphrey (Penn Badgley), Jenny Humphrey (Taylor Momsen) and short-lived character Georgina Sparks (Michelle Trachtenberg). The end of season one took viewers for a turn when Serena’s former friend turned enemy, Georgina, threatened to reveal Serena’s secret regarding the witnessing of a school friend’s lethal drug overdose. Serena confided in Blair who teamed up with Nate and Chuck to help protect Serena from the exploitation. Serena’s drama with Georgina distanced herself from boyfriend, Dan, who as a result hooked up with Georgina. Fortunately, Blair was able to convince Georgina not to reveal Serena’s secret, but when Serena finally told Dan her secret, he got mad that she hid it from him the whole time and decided to break up with her.

The highly-anticipated season two aired on Sept. 1 with the group trying to enjoy the remainder of their summer in the Hamptons. Serena and Dan were still broken up, Nate found a new, but much older woman, Jenny landed a new internship, and Blair and Chuck were on rocky terms, especially after she brought a new boy toy back from vacation with her.  

Serena and Dan, who couldn’t deny their still strong feelings for each other, try to settle their differences, ironically after Dan spotted Serena kissing Nate and Serena witnessed two girls confronting Dan on his non-monogamous behavior. Nate tries to make his secret lover, Catherine, jealous by kissing Serena and becomes conflicted when he starts to have feelings for Dan’s  friend, Vanessa. Blair’s new beau, James tells her that his real name is Marcus and that he is a British Lord. Blair struggles to get closer to Marcus, while Chuck tries to befriend Marcus, in hopes that he can steer Marcus away from his love, Blair. 

We can be sure to expect another season full of happiness, tears, and revenge because their parents’ money can’t always keep them occupied.

0
0