Pitch Picks: Summer Music

{{ Sonic Youth }}

It’s a well-known fact that a good number of musical groups that had their heyday in the mid eighties and nineties may be a little past their prime in the new millennium. (If you have any doubts, just listen to The Smashing Pumpkins’ Zeitgeist.) That being said, Sonic Youth is far from being holed up in the noise rock graveyard—their new album The Eternal, due out on June 9, is being hailed by music critics as proof that even after 28 years and five changes in band members, the group couldn’t be further away from irrelevancy. Singers Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore compliment each other in harmonies that are pure rock and roll perfection. Check out the album’s best tracks “Sacred Trickster” and “Leaky Lifeboat” for affirmation.

{{ The Dead Weather }}

What do you get when you cross arguably the best living guitarist from alternative duo White Stripes with arguably one of the most haunting and inventive yowls from alternative duo The Kills? A lot of stringy black hair and a pretty cool sound. Jack White’s latest side project combines seamlessly with singer Alison Mosshart’s gritty voice and additional music talent from Queens of the Stone Age keyboardist Dean Fertita and Blanche bassist Jack Lawrence. White proves he’s got more musical chops than he lets on when he lends his talent on the drums on the standout track “Hang You From the Heavens.” The band’s debut album Horehound drops on June 9—two parts White Stripes, one part Kills and another part glamorous garage band.

{{ Elvis Costello }}

It would have been easy for people not to take Elvis Costello all that seriously back in 1977. He was a wiry, nerdy Buddy Holly lookalike with glasses the size of jam jars. Totally uncool…until he opened his mouth and let out that soulful, playful, downright sexy growl, a trademark nearly as recognizable as his oversized specs. Elvis Costello could and still does rock. At 54, he’s still got the moves, the voice, the glasses and a new album, entitled Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, out on June 2, a collaboration with rock crooner T-Bone Burnett. Two music powerhouses together could be just the magic touch Costello needs to keep his crown and his reputation alive.

{{ Lil Wayne }}

On June 9, jaws will drop. Lil Wayne and rock music? Sounds like nonsense to the majority of his loyal rap fans, but it’s a reality and a pretty awesome one at that. Come this summer, he’ll trade his grills for guitars and release an ambitious rock/rap compilation entitled Rebirth—an appropriate title considering the rather brave detour he’s taking from the rap world. The first single off the new album, “Prom Queen,” is typical Lil Wayne raunchiness in terms of lyrics, mixed with an undeniably contagious rock beat. So don’t fear: the raspy, easily-recognizable voice stays; it’s just combined with delightful musical nuance. Okay, maybe it’s slightly more noticeable than that, but really, it’s more of a confirmation of sorts—Lil Wayne does not fear change. In fact, he pretty much laughs in its face. It’s risks like this that reaffirm how talented of a musician he really is.

{{ Deer Tick }}

Folk music tends to get a bad reputation among the high school set. For too many kids, it evokes images of Ma and Pa Kettle sitting on a porch with the spittoon comfortably resting between them, blasting a shotgun at kids who set foot on their property. Feel free to completely disregard this picture when listening to Deer Tick. Their 2007 debut War Elephant is proof that country sensibility is hardly stale—just listen to the opening track “Ashamed” and marvel at the simplicity of lead singer John McCauley’s gruff, Dylan-esque vocals paired with the plucking of the guitars and the last-minute drum fill that accompanies as natural as a heartbeat. The band’s upcoming release, Born on Flag Day, out on June 23, could restore or create that bit of faith in the simplicity and beauty of folk.

JUST A FEW UPCOMING CONCERTS . . .

• June 1: Grizzly Bear (9:30 Club)
  • June 5: X (9:30 Club)
  • June 7: Passion Pit (Black Cat)
  • June 11: Jenny Lewis (9:30 Club)
  • June 17: Plain White T’s & Peaches (9:30 Club)
  • June 18: Metric (9:30 Club)
  • June 19: New York Dolls (9:30 Club)
  • June 21: Camera Obscura (9:30 Club)

0
0