Choral Students Perform in ‘Christmas In Washington’

Select students from the WJ chorus performed among various celebrities for the annual taping of the “Christmas in Washington” concert at the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C. on Dec. 13.

The show, which was hosted by George Lopez, is a charitable holiday tradition that has been going on for 28 years, and this year the benefits will go to the National Children’s Medical Center.

A big highlight for the WJ singers was being able to perform with many artists, such as Mary J. Blige, Neil Diamond, Sugarland, Rob Thomas, Usher and teen sensation Justin Bieber, with the Obamas also in attendance in the audience.

Meeting and performing amongst the starlets was a big perk for sophomore participant Sam Cummins.

“My favorite part of the experience was probably meeting and conversing with all of the stars, including George Lopez, Justin Bieber, Rob Thomas and Sugarland,” said Cummins. “One highlight of the experience was probably on taping day, when I met Justin Bieber in the bathroom.”

Sophomore Soukie Dia enjoyed meeting the celebrities as well, saying it was “pretty epic” to be so close to the President.

To prepare for the performance, the students rehearsed meticulously every day after school for two weeks.  They practiced Monday through Friday at the Suitland Academy of the Arts and Calvary Baptist Church in Chinatown after school, and would travel to the rehearsals by either bus or Metro.

According to the student performers, the practices were tough, with everyone wanting to keep their well-earned spots and get  the chance to sing among the stars.

“The whole experience was very cut-throat,” said Dia. “For two weeks, it was up to us not to be the one person who sings ‘mi’ instead of ‘fa,’ or else she would cut you. If you were wrong at all, [the producers] would have no problem cutting you from the performance, so we were pretty much forced to be on-point with our voices at all times.”

However things settled down as people became more comfortable with the schedule and music.

Cummins said that they heard and sang the songs so many times that by the time of the performance, everyone knew them by heart.

“Towards the end when we all pretty much knew our music, and then we rehearsed at the building museum with the celebrities,” said Dia.

All the preparation certainly helped prepare the students for the big show, however some students have mixed feelings about whether the performance improved their vocal skills.

Cummins believes that, while exciting, the experience did not exactly teach the choristers any new skills.

“The experience didn’t really help us as singers because we didn’t really learn anything new, although it may have improved our [vocalizing] skills,” said Cummins.

Dia, however, believes that the pressure and intensity of the whole ordeal forced people to sing their best, and helped with their control.

Whether there was any improvement or not, the singers did walk away from the experience with a heart full of Christmas spirit.

“The overall ‘Christmas in Washington’ experience was great because we got to sing with a few famous recording artists, and in front of Barack Obama,” said Cummins. “It was very time consuming and in the end we were very tired, but happy that we participated in it.”

Dia also looks back at the overall experience as a positive one.

“I think that ‘Christmas in Washington’ is a really great performance,” said Dia. “It’s kind of become a tradition in Washington for every family to huddle around the T.V. and watch some favorite celebrities perform, as well as see their President, and getting to be a part of it is an experience I will definitely never forget.”

The show aired Sunday, Dec. 20 at 8 p.m on TNT.

0
0