Spring Break 2013: How To Spend It

Starting March 23, the week that everyone’s been waiting for will finally arrive.

Whether you’re a stuck-at-home freshman, carefree sophomore, stressed junior or nostalgic senior, everybody needs a time to relax once in a while.

Part 1: Stay-cations

During the break, some students spend their much-earned time relaxing outside of Maryland, and, after the week, they come back to school, fresh and renewed. Many, however, stay behind.

For those people who are planning on having a “stay-cation” this year, have no fear, for there are many things that could be done around the area.

Go to the movies

This Spring Break, movies such as “G.I.  Joe: Retaliation” and “The Host,” both coming out March 29, are sure to entertain.

The long awaited sequel to “G. I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra” returns with some of the first movie’s famed actors, like Channing Tatum and Arnold Vosloo. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Bruce Willis are sure to perform in their debuts in this action-packed thriller.

“The Host,” a movie rendition of “Twilight” author Stephenie Meyers’ newest novel, is about an unseen alien race that attempts to take over the world. This sci-fi romance thriller takes a dramatic turn when one of the aliens begins to switch sides.

Run a race

Many charity runs are going to be taking place during the break, such as the Run Rogue 5k on Mar. 23 at the Fairfax Corner Shopping Center, which includes a 5k run-walk and a one-mile run. Its proceeds support the organizations Life with Cancer and Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure.  The 1K Fun Run starts at 8 a.m. while the 5K Run/Walk starts at 8:30 a.m. Afterwards, raffles and awards will be given. Registration prices range between $30-$35.

Visit the city

Students can tour the Potomac with rented kayaks or canoes from the city’s favorite boathouses, including Thompson Boat Center, Jack’s Boathouse and Fletcher’s Cove, with prices starting at $10. If that isn’t your thing, take a walk around Georgetown or Dupont Circle and visit local restaurants and shops that are trendy and one of a kind. The red line metro goes to Dupont Circle, and from there, one may take a bus to Georgetown.

Go to an amusement park

There are many close and inexpensive amusement parks in our area. Hitch a ride with some friends and go to one of the many around town. Splash Down Waterpark in Manassas, VA features ten fun-filled rides and five beaches. Kings Dominion in Doswell, VA is famous for its fast-paced thrill rides. Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA is noted for its different take on an amusement park, and Six Flags in Bowie, MD has a great array of rollercoasters to choose from.

If any of these aren’t satisfying, try something different. Bike around the neighborhood, walk over to a friend’s house, or just laze around the couch.

Part 2: College Visits Turn Fun

By sophomore year, students begin to receive college letters, pamphlets, and emails while juniors are sorting out where they want to go.

As a result, many students visit the colleges of New England, including the famed Ivy Leagues, and some of the oldest and most acclaimed universities in North America.

“I will be visiting liberal arts colleges in the Northeast/New York/Pennsylvania/Rhode Island area, such as Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore, Vassar, Columbia, Brown, [and] Middlebury,” said junior Suma Cheru.

“My dream colleges are those with a top liberal arts curriculum, I would love to go to such schools on the East [coast],” she said.

Philadelphia, PA

One of Pennsylvania’s most historic towns is also one of its most collegiate. Philadelphia sports many universities, such as Pennsylvania State, Villanova and La Salle Universities, University of Pennsylvania and Swarthmore College.

After a full day of exploring, students can relax by visiting the sights, like the Longwood Gardens, Philadelphia’s biggest garden which shows over 11,000 plants. For music lovers, the Mann Center for the Performing Arts features a huge amphitheater that glows in the spring and summer. One can also visit the Philadelphia Museum of Art, America’s third largest art museum, which showcases work from various prominent artists.

Boston, MA

Boston also sports world-class universities, such as Boston College, Boston University, Brandeis University, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northeastern University, Tufts University and Radcliffe College, all within minutes of each other.

To unwind, pay a visit to the Museum of the Fine Arts, the city’s celebrated art museum that displays a large Impressionist painting collection. Baseball enthusiasts would also enjoy Fenway Park, famous for its “Green Monster” and home of the Boston Red Sox. The Boston Commons, Boston’s downtown park and garden, is perfect for picnics and walks.

New York City, NY

The Big Apple is plentiful with amazing colleges. Head on over to Columbia University, Fordham University, The Julliard School, New York University and Parsons The New School of Design. All universities are within driving distance, but many people use public transportation such as the subway or bus instead. One can also visit Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Central Park and Statue of Liberty by public transit as well.

Part 3: Road Trip Guide

Road trips are pretty infamous for being a typical spring break activity. As a senior during Spring Break seniors would definitely have already applied, they would be hearing back from colleges so you’re pretty relaxed till the summer not necessarily, be careful about making generalizations. Many venture out to Ocean City with friends and family for its scenic views and towns ranging from small colonial fishing to bustling resort centers. The trip usually takes about two-and-a-half hours, at the end of which will be countless shops and eateries and, of course, the beach.

Deep Creek Lake is also a popular spot for Marylanders and Virginians alike with its natural beauty and the activities available are plentiful.  During this time of year, most activities are eight dollars. On the more adventurous side one could go on a canopy tour ($39) through the trees, go rock climbing ($45), or maybe consider white water rafting ($50-$75), depending on what day you go.

There are many other options for spring break other than the ones explained here. From going to the local mall with your friends to exploring outdoor activities in national parks, there is something for everyone to enjoy. 

0
0