Trend Alert– Tech Edition: Kickstarter

Those in the film industry who have ideas for new movies typically go to producers who consult their director friends who then help to get it in the making. However, this is not always the case, especially with the new trends in technology.

Actress Kristen Bell falls under this category with her upcoming project, a movie revival of her past TV series, “Veronica Mars,” which aired from 2004-2007. Bell used a site called “Kickstarter” to gain funds.

Kickstarter is a website created in 2009 for the purpose of funding independent projects such as new albums, games or in Bell’s case, movies.

Creators, people searching for funds for their projects, can sign up for free and advertise their endeavor via Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or other social media sites. Each project page has a graphic, either a photo or video, detailing the nature of the project in addition to a page that updates backers on the project’s progress.

Backers, users who hear about projects and choose to fund or “back” them, see these ads and donate as little or as much as the creators set, paying through Amazon via credit or debit card.

Once the fund goal is reached, backers receive indicated rewards based on the amount pledged. For Bell’s project, those who pledge $10 receive a PDF version of the Veronica Mars movie script as well as a sheet of the movies’ stickers, due to arrive in February 2014.

0
0