UK Invasion: British Culture and the US

Since the establishment of our nation, America has had a rocky and eventful relationship with Great Britain, our former ruler. While America now operates independently, Britain still holds influence over us through fashion, pop culture and music.

Fashion

The British have added their knack for the “posh,” or lavish, sense of style through several of their popular fashion chains.

Burberry, for example, is a very popular and high-end fashion brand in Britain whose iconic checkerboard-style pattern has  become a part of American culture. So well, in fact, that other copycats have emerged trying to emulate the company’s authentic check.

On the less expensive side of British fashion, Topshop has also graced America with its edgy-but-classy style. Though it only has four stores in the U.S., located in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago and Las Vegas, the company also generates a lot of business from their online site. Seventeen Magazine as well as Elle and Teen Vogue have featured many of their pieces, creating quite a buzz about the fledgling store.

Pop-Culture

The most iconic of British novels have found their way onto our platforms for advertising. One of which, the Harry Potter series, by British author J.K Rowling has been the most successful at advertising the popular series in America.

For some reason, the idea of a wizarding school and interesting creatures, such as thestrals and dementors, have gone over well with American readers. They’ve done so well that the series has sold up to 50 million copies in the United States.

Other British series have also has success on U.S. bookshelves. The emergence of the “Fifty Shades of Grey” series, by London native E.L James, has had a similar effect. The series is erotic and quite adult, highlighting sexual content that may not be suitable for teens. The fact that there is some sort of raunchy quality to it attracts readers, because the series has sold more on Amazon than all of the Harry Potter books combined. As a result, James has replaced Rowling as the best-selling author, having sold 65 million copies worldwide. Its growth has driven the enterprise further as an American version of the film is currently underway.

But books are just the tip of the iceberg for American pop-culture influenced by the British. Their royalty, most recently Kate Middleton, has also sparked quite a fire in the media.

The Duchess of Cambridge, Catherine “Kate” Middleton, has also influenced American culture with many of her iconic clothing ensembles. Middleton is frequently seen sporting a headpiece with an elaborate appliqué, usually mesh contorted into abstract shapes to add a slightly modern touch to her classic style, known to the public as a “fascinator.”

For example, on the day of their first interview as an engaged couple, Middleton was wearing a navy blue satin wrap dress with a dropped V neckline. The only thing on her head was her well blown-out brown hair. Though she wasn’t sporting her usual garb, this outfit, alongside her wedding dress, was one of her most memorable.

In 1981, when Princess Diana and Prince Charles got married, the world watched, whether on the big screen, or by standing on the side of the road pushing through the crowd to get a glimpse of the royals in their elegant garb. People knew there was something about this princess that was going to be different than any other.

This was seen again when Diana passed away on Sept. 6, 1997. Many sent cards and memorabilia for her funeral and memorial. America was so shook up on this day, and still is in some ways, and ceases to forget about how she influenced women and girls worldwide. TIME Magazine ranked the princess number 73 on their list for the 100 most influential people of all time. Though this tragedy occurred miles away, the U.S was impacted emotionally.

In terms of the present day royalty, Middleton has set a new precedent in becoming a princess, something interestingly noticed by American girls. Because Kate came from humble beginnings and may connect greatly with the “average” girl, many younger females will believe that they too can be like her in that she will have an incredible run-in with royalty and create an elaborate relationship story in which they attend the same school as a royal and become friends with them.

Music

Newbie UK pop group, One Direction, consists of five young and talented singers who began as solo acts who were  put together into the boy band during the 2010 season on “X Factor,” a UK original vocal competition begun by Simon Cowell.

Coincidentally, the competition has also caught much fanfare in America with its very own version.

Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson have begun their reign in America by being on Barbara Walters’ list of the most interesting people. Their 11 million Facebook fans, fans passing out at concerts, and endless overwhelming fan letters helped them get there.

In addition, the American music scene has also integrated Jessica Cornish, better known to the public as Jessie J. Cornish began as a songwriter for artists such as Rihanna and Chris Brown, and was then integrated into the music world. Cornish has been known for her many other hit singles, “Domino,” “Price Tag” and “Who You Are.”

British group, The Wanted, has also created quite a ruckus in America with their popular singles “Glad You Came,” “Chasing the Sun” and “I Found You.”

0
0