All Aboard for “Captain Phillips”

“Captain Phillips” is about a man, named Richard Phillips (Tom Hanks), who leaves his Vermont home and family for his new job. He will captain a cargo ship around the coast of Somalia to the city of Mombasa, Kenya. However, while he believes this should be an easy task, it will actually turn into the most dangerous job he has ever taken. A band of Somali pirates, led by a man named Muse (Barkhad Abdi), hijacks his ship, the Maersk Alabama. While the crew is sent into hiding, Phillips is taken hostage and faces the most dangerous situation of his life; one that will bring in not only the U.S. Navy, but also the Navy SEALS.

If you haven’t seen “Captain Phillips” yet, you should as soon as possible. Normally, when people think of Somali pirates versus the U.S. Navy, a lot of shooting and a lot of action probably comes to mind. However, “Captain Phillips” has very little fighting, but creates the same tension and thrill through the efforts of both sides trying to get what they want without anyone having to be killed. It often becomes very difficult, because the pirates, in return for Phillips, want 10 million dollars from the Navy. However, the Navy isn’t really looking to take orders from a band of four pirates, so they try to get Phillips back by other means.

The bravery exhibited by all of the characters in the movie also draws you in. Phillips risks his life multiple times in order to keep his crew safe by tricking the pirates, even though they threaten to kill him if he does. Also, the crew tries to protect Phillips and the ship by setting a trap for Muse, then trying to trade him for Phillips. The pirates also display either bravery or insanity by trying to go against the U.S. Navy, and won’t merely surrender without getting what they want.

Tom Hanks does an excellent job as Phillips and plays his role extremely believably. His performance will keep your eyes glued to him even after his rescue, as he goes through shock and exhibits symptoms of trauma in the emergency hospital that has been set up for him on board the U.S. naval ship.

The actors who play the pirates are actual Somali immigrants who came to Minneapolis, and have no previous experience in the movie business. The movie put out and ad saying it was looking for people to play the Somali pirates in the movie, and the four went to the auditions. They ended up getting roles in the movie, and for first time actors, they display tons of talent and seem like they’ve been acting for years. Barkhad Abdi, the man who plays Muse, might even win best supporting actor at the Oscars.

Captain Phillips will keep you on the edge of your seat through the very end. You never know what is about to happen next, how the pirates will react to a deal, how the Navy will react to a demand, or how Phillips will try to escape the awful situation.

0
0