WJ S*T*A*G*E’s Sweeney Todd scares up a storm

This weekend and last weekend, WJ S*T*A*G*E delights with their production of “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.¨ While some may be turned off the concept of this horror musical, the show had a big turnout the first weekend and wasn’t as gory as expected.  The spring musical always draws a big crowd, and much of the cast looks forward to performing this piece to a large audience.

“This is the first time WJ has ever put on ‘Sweeney’ so it´s really exciting to showcase new work,” senior Taylor Connors said. Connors is double cast as Tobias Ragg and gives the one of the best vocal performances of the Saturday cast along with senior Mariana Rodriguez, who is also double cast as Johanna on Saturday nights.

“My mom came all the way from Chile to see me,” Rodriguez said. “I hope I did her and the rest of the cast proud.”

The musical follows the story of a barber, played by junior Michael Hammaker, who is wrongfully incriminated by a judge in 1800´s London. He seeks revenge along with his former friend turned accomplice Mrs. Lovett, played by senior Julia Souza. Hammaker and Souza´s relationship throughout proved to be the infrastructure that held the musical together.

Another positive constant in the show was the phenomenal pit orchestra, led by new conductor Andrea Morris. Morris and her group persevered through some first show hiccups and the challenging score written by Stephen Sondheim.

Senior Morgan Grizzle, who plays flute in pit orchestra, agreed that the music was harder than last year’s “Shrek”.

“The music is challenging and we would be so lost without Ms. Morris. She´s been looking at the score since the fall and has helped out all of us out including the actors and crew.”

Overall, “Sweeney Todd” was a large success and will be performed for the last two times on April 15 and 16.

1
1