What You Didn’t Know About… Assistant Principal Janan Slough

ms slough 001

Assistant principal Janan Slough likes a good challenge. From dealing with special needs and traveling across the globe to taking long bike rides, her enthusiasm never tires.

Knowing she wanted to work in the field of education, Slough completed a Bachelor of Science degree with dual certification in special education for kindergarten through twelfth grade and general education for first through eighth grade from the University of Maryland. She went on to devote her early career to special education, where children need help the most, in Calvert and Montgomery County.

“If I was going to do something in education, I felt like I wanted to help students that might have other challenges,” she said. “For me, that was my charge.”

When Slough was offered the assistant principal position at WJ, her only daughter, Jennifer, was in college. She wanted to make sure she could go to her daughter’s field hockey games and swim meets before she took on the job. Now, Slough has no regrets. She loves the daily variety of her job and the relationships she has with her colleagues, especially with Principal Christopher Garran.

“I support his leadership style,” she said. “He’s very student-oriented and I’m very student-oriented.”

Currently in her 32nd year in the educational system, Slough has learned the consequences of reckless youth. She has seen up close the ramifications of drinking and driving, drugs and countless other problems. Slough has learned she has to listen and provide support to a generation preparing to embark into the world.

“Ultimately, it’s your life at the end, and we want to help you make good decisions for yourself,” she said.

In her third decade of working in schools, with retiring on the horizon, Slough is currently happy with what she is doing.

“As long as I can be effective in my job, I’ll keep doing it,” she said.

Traveling with her husband encompasses a large part of her life. Most recently, she trekked around Cairo, Egypt and plans on voyaging to Vancouver and Victoria in Canada in the next year.

As she enjoys seeing history through her travels across the world, Slough also sees musical expression in the flesh through live performances. Don’t be surprised to see Slough singing along to the Fray’s “How to Save a Life” at the 9:30 Club or to John Mayer’s “Waiting on the World to Change” at the Verizon Center. Aside from contemporary artists, she likes to listen to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and James Taylor, the “good, real music” of the 1960s and 1970s.

“Just seeing history come alive through watching an artist singing, that to me, is the ultimate,” she said. “That’s my thrill and enjoyment.”

Although she’s interested in pop-culture, Slough isn’t one to read any “mushy love stories” or watch any “stupid comedies.” She prefers mystery books and crime shows, such as “CSI.”

Slough’s weekends are a mixture of family and fun. She usually spends her Saturdays at the respective homes of her mother and mother-in-law, who are both dealing with the challenges of old age. Currently, Slough is trying to put together a family tree from old pictures with her mother’s help.

Sundays are for Slough and her husband. Keeping up with her outdoorsy spirit, they bike on Wootton Parkway, on Beach Drive and around Lake Needwood.

“I love to bike,” she said. “If you do it for a couple hours you feel good.”

PHOTO BY JULIA HAYMORE

0
0