Happy Trails: Montgomery County’s Finest Nature Trails

After nine months of school, hiking, biking, running or just a good old-fashioned walk could be the perfect way to let loose.  Try these exciting trails:

Rock Creek Trail

• Length: 18.6 miles
    • Uses:  walking, biking, running
    • Pets: yes
    • From WJ: access to the trail can be found at the intersection of Grosvenor Lane and Beach Drive by Rockville Pike.
    • Description: The Rock Creek Trail runs from Lake Needwood out in Derwood to the Washington D.C. border in Chevy Chase.  The section near WJ runs parallel to Beach Drive for several miles before turning south and heading towards East West Highway and the D.C. border.  The trail boasts scenic views and connection points close to Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Rockville and Silver Spring.  Highlights include Lake Needwood and the surrounding woods, the trail bridge of Veirs Mill Road, which has some cool artwork on it, and a close up view of the Mormon Temple. There are also several cool side trails in the woods in Candy Cane City Park by where the trail turns off Beach Drive onto Jones Mill Road.

Capital Crescent Trail

• Length: 11 miles
    • Uses: walking, biking, running
    • Pets: yes
    • From WJ: access to the trail can be found in Downtown Bethesda, across the street from the Barnes and Noble bookstore at the intersection of Bethesda and Woodmont Avenues .
    • Description: The Capital Crescent Trail runs from Downtown Silver Spring through Bethesda into Georgetown.  The first mile of “trails” from Silver Spring are just neighborhood roads with signs giving directions.  Walkers are eventually led to an actual trail in the woods.  Between there and Downtown Bethesda, walkers pass several impressive sights, including the bridge over Rock Creek Trestle, which has an awesome view of the creek below.  As users get into Downtown Bethesda they pass through a long dark tunnel, something which provides great relief from the sun in the summer.  The trail then continues from Downtown Bethesda into Georgetown. A highlight of this section of the trail is the connection with the 185 mile C & O Canal, which goes from Georgetown all the way to Cumberland in Northwest Maryland.

Seneca Creek Greenway Trail

• Length: 24 miles
    • Uses: hiking, running, walking 
    • Pets: yes
    • From WJ: Drive up Route 355 until you see a small lot at the intersection of Game Preserve Road in Germantown.
    • Description: Though it is not particularly close, the Seneca Creek Greenway is definitely worth the drive.  The trail theoretically runs along Seneca Creek from the Potomac River all the way to the Patuxent River in Howard County.  However, the trail drops off somewhere in Damascus.  Going from the Route 355 entrance, which is probably the easiest for people heading up from the WJ area, I personally recommend going south towards the Potomac River.  This trail is mostly for the more rugged hiker, or runners who really like hills.  The trail is all dirt and can kind of turn into a mud hole when it rains.

0
0