Lighting Up the Marijuana Debate

A study conducted on 3,725 students in Australia and New Zealand, from the start of their high school career until age 30, and revealed that smoking marijuana can have devastating, unforeseen life consequences.

“Teenagers who smoke marijuana daily are over 60 percent less likely to complete high school than those who never use,” said Christopher Ingraham, a writer for the Washington Post.

Besides reducing students’ chances of graduating high school, marijuana also causes other consequences.

“They found that the risks for negative outcomes increased with the frequency of cannabis use,” wrote Ingraham.

Marijuana use helps to cause everything from fights with friends and family to suicide attempts. According to the survey, even with a few joints a week, their odds of getting through high school are less then someone who does not smoke. The odds get worse with each puff.

After being warned about smoking marijuana, as a teen students may go out and decide to smoke a joint with some friends. All they have to do is remember that those few moments of pleasure and freedom are lowering their odds of getting through high school and getting into college, but you only have to worry about that if you survive the negative effects and the higher chance of suicide.

A link to Ingraham’s article is provided below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/09/study-teens-who-smoke-weed-daily-are-60-less-likely-to-complete-high-school-than-those-who-never-use/

0
0