How sweeping is “Senioritis”?

Senioritis has been a conflict for many high schoolers.

Most high school students have probably heard of “senioritis”, the notorious “illness”, or mindset, that high school seniors supposedly take on at the end of the school year, after they are accepted to college.

In other words, many decide not to give much effort to their school life (homework, coming to class on time, etc.) after they have been accepted to college, since the pressure is seemingly off. 

The term “syfi”, an acronym for “senior year f*ck it”, is already pervasive among afflicted seniors, even though it’s only September. Has senioritis already affected seniors in the first quarter of the year?

It does not appear to have hit senior Justin Liu, who believes that his last year is a time to work hard.

“I’m very excited [to be a senior], except it’s also a very stressful time of year right now, at least [until] winter,” Liu said, referring to the college application process, which is harrowing for some students.

Liu is applying early to schools on his application list, and hopes that his grades stay strong enough for him to be accepted.

Fellow senior Naila Parker-Sanchez also hopes to be accepted to college early on in the school year. Additionally, she is looking forward to having fun this year.

“Senior year is definitely a time to relax as soon as winter begins,” Parker-Sanchez said. She said that high schoolers deserve a break during their senior year.

“All of us have worked our butts off [since] freshman year and deserve our last year to have all the fun we can,” Parker-Sanchez said.

Both students hold different opinions on how to appropriately embody the term “syfi”.

“I actually see a lot of people do it [and ignore their responsibilities], but I think it’s a very bad idea [because] you’re going to regret the consequences that follow after your graduate,” Liu said.

In contrast, Parker-Sanchez has a more positive view.

“I think the term “syfi-ing” is pretty hilarious… everyone should syfi all they want, [but not] until they finish all their college stuff,” Parker-Sanchez said.

[playbuzz-item url=”//www.playbuzz.com/thepitchonline10/how-hard-has-senioritis-hit-you”]

1
0