Has Christmas gone too commercial?

Over the years, many have debated the true meaning of Christmas and if it has been changed by the commercialization. The commercialization of the holiday includes companies advertising excessively and consumers going Black Friday shopping in order to prepare for this apparent month-long holiday. The real question is, as Charlie Brown said, “Has Christmas gone too commercial?”

Many WJ students have differing opinions on the issue,  partially because of the wide variety of religious holidays that take place throughout the month of December.

Sophomore Jessica Kaplan celebrates the Jewish holiday Hanukkah during the winter season.

“I personally think that the advertising for Christmas literally fills up TV commercials around the month of December. There are so many deals and new things in all the stores, which can be a good thing, but it’s slightly out of control and gets quite chaotic,” Kaplan said.

In contrast, freshman Adrienne Bruch celebrates Christmas. 

“I think Christmas advertising is way too early because I couldn’t even finish my turkey and apple pie before seeing commercials about Christmas ‘stocking stuffers,” Bruch said.

Sophomore Lauren Danco also celebrates Christmas and doesn’t think the commercialization of the holiday has ruined its spirit.

“I don’t think the advertising for Christmas is too crazy yet, but I love all of the spirit and excitement that the holiday creates either way, so I like all the spirit and popularity of it,” Danco said.

Kaplan enjoys that the ads are very festive and makes people get into the spirit. Although Christmas isn’t a holiday she celebrates, she doesn’t hate it.

“I think the advertising is crazy but exciting. It puts people in Christmas and holiday spirit even though there isn’t much stuff going on for people who don’t celebrate Christmas. I don’t see any Hanukkah deals in the stores but I love Christmas, so it makes up for itself because of how festive it is,” Kaplan said.

Bruch has opposing ideas about this spirit.

“It is too crazy because Santa is the one who stuffs stockings, so why would there be commercials about it?” Bruch said.

Danco believes people get so involved in the consumption of holiday gifts and forget the true meaning such as family gatherings. But the festivities make it better.  

“I think people are so crazy about the holidays because it’s when the whole family gets together. Also, the holidays are about making new memories and remembering the old ones,” said Danco.

Although Danco thinks the holiday can be overwhelming, with travel and family gatherings, Kaplan thinks it is crazy, but on a different scale.

“I think people are so crazy about it because Christmas is a time for people to spend with family, get presents and have fun. People always get in the Christmas spirit after Thanksgiving and get their Christmas trees, eat candy canes, drink hot cocoa and sing Christmas songs. This gets people really excited for Christmas. I’m Jewish and I still get excited for Christmas music and seeing all the Christmas lights,” Kaplan said. 

To conclude, Bruch thinks the craziness comes from the advertising and media of Christmas.

“I think people are crazy about ads because they have no other way to express their excitement for Christmas so they let it all out on TV,” Bruch said.

Overall, from many opinions and stories about experiences during the holidays with shopping, traditions and gatherings, it has been concluded from many students that Christmas has really exploded to become too commercial.

2
0