Pre-Gaming Leads to Consequences at Homecoming Weekend

Six students underwent consequences after being apprehended by administration due to the consumption of alcohol before the Homecoming game. Twenty-four hours later, three more students were caught drunk at the dance. All the students had to participate in a drug and alcohol assessment at Suburban Hospital in addition to receiving a five-day suspension from Montgomery County School property.

“I was extremely embarrassed,” said one of the students who received suspension due to Homecoming weekend. “The police had told me that my punishment would have been a lot worse if I had lied, so I’m glad I was at least honest.”

The act of “pre-gaming” and underage drinking has been at Walter Johnson for years. Take last year’s prom for example when two students were suspended for five days, or when 90 percent of students on the Europe trip over spring break had to phone home because they broke their contract stating they would not consume any alcoholic beverages on the trip.

Whether administration can help it or not, students pre-game various school sponsored events year round. Students continue to be caught under the influence of alcohol or marijuana even after lunch, in the halls of the school on their way to their afternoon classes. The only difference between now and the past is that the security is tighter and it is getting harder for students to slip through the cracks and appear sober when really they are clearly intoxicated.

“I don’t see any benefit, any need,” said Principal Christopher Garran. “A student who appears at a school event intoxicated is like a drunk driver trying to do loops around the police station.”

Before underage students can pre-game, they have to obtain the alcohol first.

“We give money to our friends who have fake IDs or ask college students that we know,” said a student anonymously.

The providing of liquor from older siblings is seemingly common. The older student may encourage their younger brother or sister to drink by inviting him or her to pre-game with them and their older friends making it appear tempting and “cooler” than getting involved with fellow underclassman activities.

Pre-gaming continues through college and emerges ever so often in adulthood. For example, fans of the Washington Redskins can be seen chugging beers a couple hours before games.

0
0