BSU “Achieving the Dream”

Under the mantra “Achieving the Dream,” the Black Student Union (BSU) preformed its annual assembly in the Reddick Auditorium on Feb. 20.

The show incorporated traditional aspects of African and African American performance with clips of recent speeches from President Barack Obama and selections of student poetry.

“Obama is a true testament to the fact that we can climb the obstacles and go the distance,” said BSU President Andre Roberts. “We used the montage to establish a bridge between the past and the present.”

According to Roberts, it took a lot of stress and planning to ensure that the show went smoothly.

“I think we planned to start [planning the show] early, but we actually ended up starting a little behind schedule,” said BSU Secretary Jennyeka Neil. “In the end, the entire show came together, and I think we achieved exactly what we wanted to achieve.”

According to Neil, producers tried to open the assembly up to new mediums of performance, including poetry, traditional African dance and beat boxing.

“For the past few years, the main features of the show have been the jazz band, the step team and the gospel choir,” said Neil. “This year, we tried to incorporate some new acts and I think the audience responded really well.”

0
0