The Basics, the Consequences and the Alternatives: Beach Week 2009

-The Basics

Every year thousands of seniors descend upon beaches across the United States for a week of fun, bonding with friends, independence and partying. Seniors rent beach houses for an entire week after their graduation as a part of an annual senior tradition that has come to be known as Beach Week. However, while many seniors jump at any opportunity to live independently from their parents or guardians, engaging in illegal activities while renting a house at the beach carries significant legal repercussions that follow them for the rest of their lives. Because of the threat of these consequences, many seniors elect to go on alternative trips instead of the traditional beach week vacation.

For many graduates, this is the first time to exercise the legal right to rent a house. Delaware, Maryland and Virginia, states with popular beach destinations, all require a renter to be at least 18 years of age before being able to enter a contract to rent a house.

Another stipulation discouraging drinking and other potentially dangerous activities is that many renters only rent to 18-year-olds if a parent or legal guardian co-signs with their child. Though there is no legal requirement for a parent to cosign with their son or daughter, many renters and realtors want the financial security and responsibility to be shared with a financially independent adult.

According to VacationRentals.com, a popular beach rental site, the price for an average beach house that sleeps around 10 people in Ocean City, Md. runs between $1,952 to $3,657 a week. A beach house for 10 or more in Bethany Beach, Del. is between $1,357 to $2,565 per week and a beach house that sleeps 10 or more in Virginia Beach, Va. costs between $2,239 to $5,664 for a week rate.

However as a means to discourage damaging the property, property owners renting out their houses usually charge slightly higher rates if the occupants are college-age students.

-Legal Consequences

Legal consequences from Beach Week activities range from being issued a ticket, to being jailed and possibly charged with a felony. According to seasonal police officer Nate Hollis, who serves during beach week, the most common violations are underage drinking, house parties that devolve into chaos, disorderly conduct, which includes public indecency and public urination, and vandalism.

Upon being contacted by community members or observing illegal activities, police try to defuse the situation and issue warnings, tickets or citations. Those who are under 18 and are caught drinking will be detained and have their parents contacted. Police do not usually call parents of those 18 or over, but often are forced to since no one else will bail them out.
Another common crime is disorderly dwelling, characterized by screaming, loud music and fights, which can be penalized with a warning for the first offense to a $1,000 fine and eviction from the house.

Hollis stressed the importance of remaining calm in the presence of the police.

“Something that could be really simple like a ticket can spiral out of control,” said Hollis. “If people decide to run and fight, [that] makes it a bigger deal. The vast majority of suspects who decide to run do not get away and are quickly apprehended.”

Resisting the authority of the police can lead to much more severe punishments such as felony charges, which are prison sentences of one year or more. An increased police presence can also land many teens in trouble as the police departments of popular Beach Week destinations hire extra officers to manage the influx of residents.

“Usually life guards or police patrol the beaches at night and during the day,” said Hollis. “The patrols are done to keep people safe and keep people out of trouble.”

Hollis also cites teens’ newfound freedom as a reason behind them getting into trouble with the law.

“Many teens go to the beach with the mindset that they can do whatever they want,” said Hollis. “What they don’t realize is that the things they do at Beach Week will follow you. You can lose scholarships. [Your] record is permanent, and everything is on it.”

Hollis emphasized the most important point to him; don’t be afraid of the police.

“Police are not the enemies. if someone is getting sick, don’t worry about the liabilities,” said Hollis. “A life is far more important than the legal consequences. If you or a friend needs help, do not hesitate to call 911.”

-Alternative Trips

Walt Whitman teacher Melanie Hudock acknowledges the possibilities of Beach Week. On one hand, she sees students strewn over a beer-stained couch after a long day on the beach. The music pulsing through the foundation of the rental house would catch the attention of a police officer. She sees the students being arrested at best; passed out and in need of hospitalization at worst. It may be the worst case scenario, but it is not simply a fabricated product of overcautious parental worries.

During WJ’s March 23 Beach Week meeting, Dewey Beach officer Cliff Demsey recounted an event in which 32 students were arrested: seven for drug possession, two for resisting arrest and 23 for alcohol infringements. Police also found a quarter pound of pot and a few ecstasy pills on the property.

In reaction, Hudock countered the hypothetical scenario with a second, more preferable vision. This time, students freely roam a safe atmosphere; Disney World, perhaps. The non-intoxicated graduates ride amusement park rides or sit by the pool with all the food their munchie-free bodies need. This is the image Hudock organized into a reality to provide a safe alternative to the traditional beach week.

“I organized this trip as a past parent and teacher who was concerned about students, who wants to do something fun,” said Hudock.

Another viable option is to attend Beach Week, but with a head start on the scheduled rush. A week at the beach before “Beach Week” begins allows graduates to experience the unsupervised beach life without the forwarned chaos. Demsey supported the fact that it is much safer to rent a house early after graduation.

“The students [had the freedom to only see] me when they wanted to see me,” said Hudock. “Disney is the safest place to be.”

Another viable option is to attend Beach Week with a head start on the scheduled rush. A week at the beach before Beach Week unofficially begins allows graduates to experience the unsupervised beach life without as much chaos and partying. Demsey commended this medium between parents’ worries and students’ deires being met. She believes it is much safer to rent a house during this time, as graduates will not have the trouble-prompting atmosphere and peer group that can lead to bad situations.

“I’m only going for about two days and we’re going before Beach Week really starts for everybody,” said senior Julien Calas. “It’s a tradition so I want to be a part of it, but I’ve heard people get bored of it and I want to go to Bonnaroo as well.”

Calas and senior Jake Gallagher are attending Beach Week early as well as taking a completely beach-free trip. They plan to travel to the 700-acre farm Manchester, Tenn. where the annual Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival is held in June. This year’s Bonnaroo lineup features groups such as Animal Collective, The Decemberists, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Ting Tings, Beastie Boys and Nine Inch Nails. For them, Beach Week is still expected to be an enjoyable time, just without the partying and extended stay.

“[For Bonnaroo,] we’re getting an RV and we both have our fathers going with us,” said Calas. “[I’ll miss the partying] a little, but with all the parties and the trouble students got in last year, I want to avoid that scene. I’ll be having just as much fun at Bonnaroo [and] I think it’ll hold more good memories than Beach Week will.”

0
0