SGA Elections 2010: All SGA Officer Candidates

Tomorrow, students may vote for separate class officers, but all students will have one ballot in common: that of the 2010-2011 SGA officers.

To help you be an “educated voter” in choosing next year’s student leaders of WJ, The Pitch Online asked all SGA-officer candidates about their goals, experience, prior leadership, etc.

Meet the candidates for the 2010-2011 SGA…

— SGA PRESIDENT CANDIDATES —

James Mertz is member of the varsity football and lacrosse teams. He is a member of the Young Investors Club.

GOALS?
To make new and interesting events to go along with previous ones, like student dodgeball and PowderPuff, raise more money from new-and-improved fundraisers and create an all-around exciting and dandy attitude for the next school year!

INTERESTING FACT?
I make a pretty tasty omelet.

YOUR COMPETITION?
I care strongly for WJ and its community and want only the best for them. I also cut my own hair which is kind of unique.

GOALS?

INTERESTING FACT?
I make a pretty tasty omelet.

YOUR COMPETITION?

Michael New is a member of the varsity basketball and tennis teams and a founder of the Young Investors Club. He was president of Luxmanor Elementary in fifth grade.

GOALS?
To make a phenomenal homecoming video, be as involved as possible and make the [2010-2011 school-year] as fun as possible.

INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
I almost died in a skiing accident in the ninth grade!
YOUR COMPETITION?
I have a Puritan work ethic and am the most willing, [compared to my competitors], to put in the work and time it takes to ensure the job gets done.

GOALS?

INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?

YOUR COMPETITION?

Brady Gradowski is the president of WJ’s Ninja Club and a dedicated member of the varsity crew team.

GOALS?
To bring back “Every Fifteen Minutes,” the school wide campaign against drunk driving and [to] make the SGA a forum for student opinions.  
INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
Secretly, I am a loner, even though many people think I am very outgoing.   
YOUR COMPETITION?
[Unlike my competition], I am huge! I am 6-foot-5. 

— SGA VICE PRESIDENT CANDIDATES —

Zach Hazlett is a member of the Mad Cows and the Fantasy Baseball League Club. He has also been a member of the varsity swim, football, lacrosse and wrestling teams. He wants to become an officer who holds true to his promises, such as creating mixers with other schools and new concerts for students.

• GOALS?
    I would like to increase school spirit by promoting the Mad Cows. Also, I want to plan new social events that increase student participation and fundraising.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    I’m single, have no car, and do not like most country music.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    I believe I possess different qualities than other candidates. As well as being outgoing and enthusiastic, I am approachable and considerate. I also feel I have a strong connection amongst students of all grades.

Michael Li is a member of the track team, Young Investors Club, Jewish Culture Club, Asian American Club and National and Science Honor Societies. He attends Chinese school and takes piano lessons.

• GOALS?
    To make a sweet homecoming video and to make this school more awesome than it really is. I really want to make this school enjoyable.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    Sometimes I just sit in the middle of the park and yell at crab grass; I especially dislike weeds.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    I guess I’m taller…and Asian…and uh…not scared to be judged?

Alex Schiponi was co-captain of the varsity football team and one of the captains of the varsity lacrosse team this past year. He is also in WJ’s prestigious a cappella choir, Madrigals.

• GOALS?
    To make the 2011 school year fun and exciting for everyone and top [the 2010 class] at everything.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    They’re not dolls . . . they’re action figures.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    [My competitors] may be good looking [but] I’m beautiful on the inside

— SGA SECRETARY CANDIDATES —

Sarah Howie is a member of the varsity girls basketball and lacrosse teams and has been a captain for both. She is a member of the National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society and Best Buddies.

• GOALS?
    To really make next year the best of our high school career. I hope to increase fundraising and really increase the school spirit. As for the homecoming video, I want to make one of the best yet that is funny and entertaining.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    I tend to use face paint way more and use that as my primary source of makeup.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    I’m a girl! Most people who are running are boys and almost every year the SGA is composed of boys, so I would love to change that.

Ahmed Qureshi is a member of the cross country and tennis teams. He hopes to be able to relate to a wider student body through his brother, a rising sophomore.

• GOALS?
    To unite all the students of the school so that everyone can take part in the school events rather than just simply voting and forgetting.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    I am organized, friendly, and trustworthy; but I also know how to have fun and get everyone to relax because it’s just as important.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    Though I haven’t really had any labeled leadership involvement at WJ, I have had a fair share of it at Charles E. Smith Hebrew Home, where I have volunteered over the last three summers. I am more than happy to serve my community and would also like to do the same for our great school with dedication.

Nick Regan is a key member of the cross country and track & field teams as one of their fastest runners. He is also involved with Habitat for Humanity.

• GOALS?
    To bring about an atmosphere of excitement and satisfaction where smiling is not optional…it’s mandatory. Besides that, I would try and get rid of teenage angst, improve school morale, and make your time at WJ worthwhile.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    I look older for my age.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    I’m a novice when it comes to student leadership.

Michael Scott is a member of the National Honor Society and is on the varsity football, swimming and baseball teams.

• GOALS?
    To rake the leaves of 2010 into piles of new dreams.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    I play guitar. My workout is squat thrusts.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    They’re all friends of mine. They’re beautiful people.

— SGA TREASURER CANDIDATES —

Cole Ahnell played a great role in improving the varsity football team’s record this year as quarterback and one of the captains of the team. He was also a captain of the JV football team during his freshman and sophomore years.

• GOALS?
    To exceed the total had that we had this year for Pennie for Patients, make a great HC video, increase attendance at sporting events, such as volleyball and softball, and have more activities that bring that school closer together, such as a Sadie Hawkins dance.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    I’m the weirdest person they haven’t met, and that I sing out loud when im at home by myself.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    I’m versatile, I can relate to many different types of people; I’m a jock and a geek. I’m weird but down to earth at the same time.

Gina Lorenzetti is a member of Amnesty International, Film Club, Quantum Club and Philosophy Club. She also organized “Plaid for Savage” following the untimely death of English teacher Karl Savage.

• GOALS?
    To do incredibly well in Pennies for Patients and keep WJ’s tradition of community service strong. I want to raise some money and more after school student activities, like movie nights, T-shirts sales and more work with the Savage fund.
  • INTERESTING/UNIQUE FACT?
    My dad and all my uncles went to WJ. My great uncle used to teach chemistry at WJ.
  • YOUR COMPETITION?
    I’m really passionate about WJ and will continue working hard for the students even after the homecoming video is done.

PHOTOS BY ABBY SINGLEY
INFOGRAPHICS BY ABBY SINGLEY
INFORMATION GATHERED BY KATIE LEVINGSTON, ABBY SINGLEY, KU JUNG, JEREMY SMITH, STEFANY CARTY, DANIEL FANAROFF & IAN GREEN.

0
0