Senior Class Elections 2010: Meet Your Candidates for Secretary

Mariel Berlin-Fischler is heavily involved in WJ S*T*A*G*E as a crew chief and in the WJ choral department as an enthused singer. She is a member of the National and Spanish Honor Societies, the WJ Film Club and Forensics team.

GOALS?
To make our class more accessible and more active. We have the pride and we have the motivation, but I think what we need is a spark to get things moving. To be utterly corny, I think I can be that spark. I want to see the seniors stepping up, pitching in, helping the community and getting to know each other so we can be stronger from within and really make the school proud, as well as make everyone proud of our school. We deserve a senior year that pushes boundaries, exceeds expectations and allows us to shine as a class.

INTERESTING FACT?
I’m a scrawny little white girl who has proudly been taking hip hop dance classes since elementary school. In other words, I’m an endangered species.

YOUR COMPETITION?
I’m an insanely intense people person. I just love people. I know that sounds like something every candidate will tell you, but trust me on this. If I am elected Secretary, I will make it my business to learn the names of every single person in the class (mid-year transfers don’t count) by the end of the year and sincerely enjoy it. And I’m not even joking. In fact, I may do that anyway, but if I’m not an officer, I’ll just sound like a creeper…

INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY ABBY SINGLEY

Xan Avendano will be Vice President of the Spanish Honor Society next year. He is also a member of the Spanish and National Honor Societies and loves to play soccer.

GOALS?
Well, running for secretary is a big step for me. I like being a comedian and having a good time in class, but I haven’t participated enough or taken enough of an advantage of all the options WJ has to offer, and I really want to contribute more to the school community. I mean, I love WJ, and I want to make sure the yearly fundraisers for Pennies for Patients and the other variety of charities are a total success by reaching directly to the students at school. [I would like to] make my dream of a Spanish festival-type event during lunch [come true]; that could serve as a really fun cultural experience while also serving as a sweet fundraiser for one of the many charities that our school so kindly contributes to.

INTERESTING FACT?
I love kids. I’ve been working and volunteering at camps with young kids for the last four or five years. Well, this coming summer I joined a program called CommuniKids that teaches three to six year olds how to speak Spanish and other languages by working especially on their accent and pronunciation and honestly…I am so excited. Watching kids develop and learn new things that I teach them, just makes me much happier then it probably should.

YOUR COMPETITION?
First of all, I’m the only boy running for secretary so that’s “unique.” Despite this fact, I probably spend the longest time on my hair than any of my competition, but I embrace it since I’m destined to be bald at 30. Living in a house with a Cuban mom and a Spanish dad [has given me] a fresh new perspective on a lot of things pertaining to real struggles in the world and the community that WJ can do even more to help with. My dad’s a journalist, so what he really has helped me see in life is the big picture, and from the big picture analyzing not only what specific details make that picture a reality, but also why those details do so, and why they even exist.

INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY KATIE LEVINGSTON

Angela Chow is in Best Buddies and the Teens with a Cause Club. This past spring, she was on the varsity lacrosse team.

GOALS?
To make more fundraisers for the senior class and to make things such as senior class events cheaper.

INTERESTING FACT?
I am obsessed with those really cool shaped rubber bands which have elephants and turtles on them.

YOUR COMPETITION?
I’m willing to do anything in order to make our senior year entertaining. I call dibs on that green man suit during pep rallies.

INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY KATIE LEVINGSTON

Victoire Dekenty is a member of the Book Club and Chemistry Club. She is also in the French Honor Society and the South American Student Association.
GOALS?
To make the senior class have a memorable year. I would like the senior class to become more involved in the community [by] helping at various needy organizations and connecting with other high schools around our area.

INTERESTING FACT?
At certain times I am very serious and I don’t know what is happening around me.

YOUR COMPETITION?
Most of the people have lots of experience and are very intelligent, I may not have this experience but I have a big heart and and will give a lot to the people I care for.
INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY IAN GREEN

Stefany Carty is a member of the Debate and Forensics teams. She is also a reporter for The Pitch Online.

GOALS?
To insure that senior dominance is shown proudly during homecoming week. I hope to continue WJ’s legacy in Pennies for Patients in addition to creating a shirt that all seniors will be proud to wear.

INTERESTING FACT?
I lived in Germany from age five to age eight.

YOUR COMPETITION?
While all of the candidates are great students and people, I am the most dedicated, organized, creative and willing to do the best job on behalf of the senior class.
INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY ABBY SINGLEY

**Due to unforeseen last minute changes, Marjorie McCurry was not included in these interviews.

0
0