NFLPA Director DeMaurice Smith Speaks to WJ Students

NFL Players Association (NFLPA) Executive Director DeMaurice Smith and former NFL player Tom Carter spoke to approximately 100 WJ staff and students during fifth period on Dec. 10  in an assembly sponsored by the Minority Scholars Program. Smith grew up in the D.C. area, and both he and Carter currently live in the area.

They both discussed their pasts and how their career paths led them to the NFLPA, which represents all of the current and former athletes of the NFL, and gave advice to the students at the lecture.

“Hard work is important,” said Smith. “It was instilled in me throughout my upbringing and was key in getting to me to where I am today. It’s something that my teachers forced on me, and should be a lesson to you all as well.”

After about 20 minutes of speaking, Smith and Carter took questions from the audience. The two were asked about topics ranging from concussions to the Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations in March, which may lead to a lockout by the players next year. Although there was limited time for the Q&A session, both speakers welcomed students to e-mail them with questions about internships and other opportunities with the NFLPA.

Smith’s lecture hit home with a lot of students, connecting his success to doing well in school in the importance of achieving in all aspects of life. Sophomore Francesca Rios was inspired by Smith’s story.

“Even though I’m not the biggest football fan, he was an amazing speaker and an inspiration to us all,” said Rios.

0
0