Student injured after altercation with another student

On May 23, two students engaged in a physical conflict, resulting in one being sent to a hospital and the other being put in handcuffs. The confrontation occurred in a science classroom taught by Michelle Tseng, and ended when one pulled out a pair of scissors and  the other student was injured.

Principal Jennifer Baker gave her account of the event.

“It began with a verbal exchange, which later turned physical,” she said. “[Originally] the teacher asked them to stop. When they didn’t, she realized she needed assistance and called for security. At one point, one student went to a backpack, removed the scissors and injured the other student. Another teacher, Brock Eastman, entered after the injury occurred and helped the victim. It all happened so quickly.”

Other news outlets also reported on the story, and ABC News streamed a video of the event that was taken on a student’s iPhone. The fact that the incident became public allowed Baker to talk to students and the community about the event. She sent out an email to staff, students and the WJ community describing what happened.

The attack was reported by news outlets as a “stabbing” or “vicious fight”. Many students also referred to the incident as a stabbing. However, Baker stated otherwise.

“What happened was one student injured another student with scissors,” she said. “The injuries weren’t serious. It wasn’t a stabbing.”

Baker also elaborated on what happens when an event like this occurred. Any time there is violence the administration and security takes the situation very seriously, and the students involved are punished accordingly. In this particular situation, both students received consequences.

“I use all disciplinary measures at my disposal to ensure safety,” she said.

When teachers witness an incident, they are required to do what is safe for them and the students. Their actions are limited by the possibility of injury to students and/or to themselves. When a weapon, such as scissors, is involved, it is not considered safe to try to break up the fight.

After the incident, Baker called a meeting with the administrators and security to discuss the issue. They were debriefed on the event and discussed how they can enhance safety of students and faculty in the future. Baker added that the best defense against incidents such as this is prevention, and there are many ways students can help.

“If students see tension building, it would be helpful for us to know,” she said. “People will get angry, and if someone sees something, it would be great if an adult can find out. That way there can be a mediator to work with the students so something like this [will not] happen.”

Baker said she is aware that students don’t want to tell on other students when an issue is occurring, so it was recently suggested at a safety meeting with MCPS superintendent Dr. Joshua Starr that there be a place for students to submit concerns they have anonymously. No one would know they were the ones who spoke up about the issue, keeping their identities a secret and hopefully preventing any fighting from breaking out.

Baker added that there are other outlets, such as crisis hotlines, that can help people during a time of crisis or need, which can ensure students’ safety in the future.

ABC7 News also posted an article covering the incident soon thereafter including the video of the incident that was taken on a student’s iPhone.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/05/walter-johnson-high-school-student-stabbed-with-scissors-during-fight-103435.html

0
0