Floyd Mayweather sued for $20 million on domestic abuse defamation charges

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao posters, such as the one pictured, represent what many feel was the greatest fight of the century.
Photo Courtesy of incrediblethots / Flickr

On Sat., May 2, the fight between famed boxers Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, made history as the most profitable fight in history by far, with the fighters expected to split a total earning of approximately $300 million. However, Mayweather may not end up keeping all the cash he won.

Josie Harris, the mother of three of Mayweather’s children, filed a defamation lawsuit against him on Tues., May 5, with the claim that he lied in an interview in April about a 2010 domestic violence incident.

Defamation is a generally legal term defining the act of damaging the reputation of someone. Harris specifically filed for intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress. 

According to CNN, Harris is asking for $20 million in damages after the fighter told Katie Couric, a Yahoo Global News Anchor, that he was simply trying to restrain a drug-influenced Harris during the altercation.

“Did I kick, stomp, and beat someone? No, that didn’t happen. Did I restrain a woman that was on drugs? Yes, I did. So if they say that’s domestic violence, then, you know what? I’m guilty. I’m guilty of restraining someone,” Mayweather stated in the interview.

In September 2010, Mayweather was arrested for allegedly attacking Harris while she was asleep on a couch in their Las Vegas home. In her lawsuit, Harris states that the boxer began punching and kicking her, then proceeded to drag her around the house in front of their children.

According to The Independent, Harris’ defamation lawsuit denies her being a drug abuser. She describes her treatment for deep cuts, bruises and a concussion at a hospital following the incident.

“It was not Mayweather’s ‘restraint’ of Harris that caused her serious injuries, rather it was his beating of her,” her attorney said in the court filing.

About 14 months after the initial charges, Mayweather pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor battery and two counts of harassment. Although he was sentenced to three months in prison, he was released after serving two.

In an interview with CNN’s sports correspondent Rachel Nichols in 2014, Mayweather insisted the accusations were unjustified.

“Everything has been allegations. Nothing has been proven. So, you know, that’s life,” Mayweather said.

Nichols proceeded to ask specifically about the 2010 incident, in which even his children spoke out as witnesses to the violence.

“Once again, no pictures. Just hearsay and allegations. And I signed a plea bargain. So once again, not true,” Mayweather responded. “Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. When it is all said and done, only God can judge me.”

Since Mayweather has already received a partial payment of $100 million for the fight on May 2 after a 48-fight career, many have decided to keep a close eye on the lawsuit and how it could affect the boxer’s future in the sport.

0
0