The Bullpen: Signing Off

This is it- my final editorial for The Pitch Online.  I’m tying up a few last ends (aka several senior projects that were probably due last week). To be honest, it’s hard to remember everything from the past four years, because in the end, only a few memories stand out.

Some of the most memorable include various debate team tournaments, lunchtime with the Schwartz Mock Trial Team and chilling out in The Pitch office. Although freshman and sophomore years seem like a blur, senior year has been incredibly eye-opening, and so, these are my final words of wisdom.

Expect the Unexpected

In August, I had everything planned out. I had a specific list of colleges, a timeline for finishing college applications and final standardized tests, and had already asked teachers for recs last spring. As the year progressed, however, a lot of things changed. I applied to a college that wasn’t on my list, completely by random, and guess what? Next year, that’s the college where I’ll be going with a full-tuition scholarship. Even my career path changed. I have been set on being a Broadway producer for many years, but now, I’m open to life’s possibilities. Don’t limit yourself to one choice.

By the end of the year, I had the choice of a handful of prestigious, intense theater programs, and I discovered after all that work, it wasn’t what I wanted. It’s important to follow your passions, but understand that passions change. Think about how different you were as a freshman, or a sixth grader, and so, allow yourself some freedom when making a college choice.

Friends Are There For You

I had a lot of trouble coming to terms with the idea that I’m going to be leaving my best friends hundreds of miles away come August. I’ve been best friends with these people since elementary school, and now, we’re dispersing throughout the country. It’s heartbreaking, but I know that without them, I would not be the same person I am today. I can always (strange as it seems), pick up a phone and call. There’s also social networks and texting.

One way or another, your friends are always going to be there for you, even if you’re 1000 miles away. It’s not the end of your friendship, but the start of a new phase. So get ready for new adventures and crazier experiences!

Appreciate the Present

We have all heard the phrase “YOLO” in the past few months (unless you live under a rock), and it applies even more now than ever. We go to an amazing school; take as many opportunities as you can. Some WJ clubs have truly changed my life, and most of them I joined randomly. The decision to join APEX completely shaped my academics to unfathomable degrees, that random decision to join Amnesty International helped me discover an immense passion for human rights. Be spontaneous and use the resources provided by your teachers, coaches and administration.

Thank you WJ for a great four years. I couldn’t dream of spending the hours in flourescent lighting anywhere else.

0
0