Message Megan: The Perfect Balance

Following the success of Ali Jawetz’s advice column “Ask Ali,” current Online Editor-in-Chief Megan Chun will also serve to tackle your life problems. Please email inquiries or suggestions to [email protected]. Please specify in the title that your submission is for “Message Megan.” Also, be aware that your question may also be printed in the monthly version of The Pitch.

Dear Megan,

High school can be the greatest place in the world, what with my friends and all the cute guys, but it can also take a toll on a person. I feel so weighed down with work, but more importantly, with expectations. Montgomery County is so competitive, and I feel like it is all about being better than the person sitting next me. My parents expect so much from me, and I expect so much from myself. I want to succeed in my athletics and academics here at WJ, but I also want to maintain a social life. How do I find balance?

Sincerely,

Seriously and Severely in Need

———-

Dear Seriously and Severely in Need,

Wow, I can definitely relate to all of the points you made. One of the most important parts of high school is learning how to strike the perfect balance between your academics and extracurriculars, such as sports. The first thing you need to do is prioritize. Make a list of goals you have, whether it be for the quarter, semester or year. Do you want to get all A’s and B’s? Do you have specific sports goals? Do you want to spend time with a new group of friends? Whatever you plan to do, it’s important to get them all down on paper. This will help you stay organized and on top of things. Right now it sounds like you’re trying to divide your time between academic, social and athletic commitments, which probably isn’t working too well, because you’re writing to me. Focus on one thing and try to get that done. You’ll feel better about yourself when you accomplish that goal, and then you can move on to the next.

Lastly, addressing your concerns of academic pressure from the county and your parents, I think everyone feels this way to a certain extent. We would all be lying to ourselves if we said that Montgomery County was not a very competitive area. Parents will always be there to push you, but just keep in mind that they ultimately have your best interest at heart. If you really feel as if the pressure is too much, sit down and have a heart-to-heart with them. Tell them what you told me; that you feel too much pressure and stress. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the system or the county. Your peers will always be taking difficult courses, and there will always be smart kids in your classes. The only way to fix this problem is to clear your head and set your priorities straight.

Sincerely,

Megan

0
0