Opinion Blast: Gangnam Style

By now, it seems as if everyone on planet earth has watched the YouTube video Gangnam Style three times, and that’s nearly true. By the time this article was published the video had amassed over 880 million views, nearly three times the United States’ population.

With this impressive view count, Gangnam Style has moved into the top spot for most viewed YouTube video of all time, edging out Justin Bieber’s music video for “Baby” (which has a measley 806 million views). For me, this is a welcome change.

Justin Bieber’s video was never fit to have the top spot on YouTube. The honor of top spot on YouTube should be bestowed on a viral video, and that’s what Gangnam Style is. Artist PSY was an unkown commodity outside of the Korean Pop Scene, the video has rocketed him to international fame, and while his career may be downhill from here, it shows the power of YouTube.

Justin Bieber’s hit single was never worthy of the top spot because it came from a superstar, someone who already had a massive platform to stand on, this makes it less impressive, coupled with the fact that it took the “Biebs” much longer to take the top spot.

Furthurmore Justin Bieber’s video is serious, while the top viral video in the world should be a silly and funny video. That’s exactly what Gangnam style is.

0
0