Improving the Regular Season in Sports

It’s a well known fact that England and the United States have vastly different sporting cultures. Cricket, football (soccer) and rugby are all popular sports in England that have mostly failed to take hold in the United States. Beyond these obvious differences is a foundational variation in how these two separate cultures think sports should be organized.

In Britain and Europe, the regular season is vital, as the team that’s top of the table at the end of the season is declared champion, with playoff-like drama replicated in the cup competition that’s run parellel to the regular season. The cup uses a knockout-style format that American fans would be more used to.

The United States, of course, uses the same system that we are all familiar with. The regular season determines who participates in the playoffs, where the excitement truly begins. Championship level teams often use the regular season as a sort of extension of the preseason, preparing for the vitally important playoff games. Teams that finish first in the regular season are often treated as fool’s gold.

The problem with our system is the complete vacuum it creates for drama. Regular seasons often drag on without anything particularly noteworthy, with teams waltzing through the final months of the season without much exertion, only teams on the outskirts of the playoffs showing any sort of drive or determination.

In contrast, the UK’s system creates wholesale drama; every match is vital to the final tally. Furthermore, the last three teams in the division are relegated to a lower division, suffering severe financial repercussions. This makes every single match hold a distinct importance, either to winning the title or avoiding relegation. To provide further incentive, the top four teams gain admission to the champions’ league, a super league of sorts that combines the top teams in all of the European games.

Having the regular season crown the champions also vindicates the winners, proving their consistent excellence throughout the entire season, not just during playoffs. Underdog stories aren’t lost though; the knockout-style cup competition provides smaller clubs with a chance to slay their larger counterparts.

Clearly, United States sports should adopt European sensibility, as the British system does a better job mixing both underdogs and fitting winners, all while maintaining a high level of excitement.

0
0