Pressing Pause on Christmas

With Halloween behind us and Thanksgiving just around the corner, Americans are in that awkward break between two important fall holidays. Halloween is over and done- we’ll have to wait for October 2015 to see more pumpkins or vampires. Thanksgiving is close, but unsurprisingly, Thanksgiving turkeys seem to have been trampled on by a herd of reindeer.

It’s not even December yet, and already Christmas has taken over. Instead of planning for Thanksgiving festivities, many kids are writing their Christmas lists, and many stores already have wreaths on their doors.

This is a common trend of  America this time of year. For some reason, we can’t just focus on one thing and always have to be fascinated by the next big thing. Like a child with a shiny toy, every year  holidays become a source of our obsession. We never like to be in a lull between holidays, and Christmas always seems to fill the potential  lull pretty well. While the huge holiday is far away right now, it never feels like it’s too far away. Stores often start playing their Christmas ads right after Halloween ends, and these ads continue until they transition into New Year’s, which has to do with the common theme of the commercialization of Christmas. Stores seem to thrive on holiday-themed ads, and the day after the long-awaited day of Oct. 31 always start off with reindeers and Christmas deals.

I understand that in terms of holiday spirit, turkeys aren’t much compared to reindeer,  and there aren’t exactly any jolly Thanksgiving songs to be blasting in November. But Thanksgiving, which is one of the most beneficial holidays of the year, does not deserve to be forgotten. This is especially true since the true intention of Thanksgiving isn’t to buy the most gifts, but instead to appreciate what we already have. Christmas can wait until December to take over America, and let Thanksgiving have its well-deserved moment in the spotlight.

0
0