Boys Basketball Braces for Playoff Push at 6-7

With seven games remaining, the boys basketball team finds themselves with a 6-7 record and a steep hill to climb to head into the playoffs with momentum. The team came into the season with high expectations, and was ready to take their place as one of the premier teams in the county, but a combination of bad luck and inconsistency have kept the team fromn reaching their goals at this point.

“I feel like this season was supposed to be the season that we would break out, but things just haven’t gone that way so far,” said senior co-captain Carl Yaffe. “You just have to accept it and move on. In past years, we won a lot of close games. This year, those games aren’t going our way. It just happens.”

If the team is looking for hope and inspiration, all they need to do is take a look back at last year. At this point last season, the team found themselves with a .500 record and little hope fore a successful postseason run. But then they went on a five game winning streak that propelled them into the playoffs in which they defeated Whitman before losing to eventual state champion Springbrook.

“Last year we were the underdogs and we came out each game looking to prove something,” said senior co-captain Nash Oh. “This year there was a lot of talk about how good we were going to be so we thought things were just going to be handed to us. We need to start playing like we are still the underdog because right now we are.”

The team has the potential to be a top team and coach Bill Morris believes that all the pieces are there and that all the team needs to do is put it together.

“The main thing that we need to do is become more consistent,” said Morris. “In every game that we’ve played, we’ve played three good quarters or a good half but we aren’t playing 32 minutes yet.”

The team’s inconsistency, combined with the fact that many things have gone wrong at inopportune times this season, could have resulted in the team becoming disheartened and apathetic. Instead the team is more focused than ever and looking to prove themselves.

“We have so much potential and we just haven’t really shown it yet,” said Oh. “I personally think we are the most underrated team in the county and we are going to have to start showing teams that we have the ability to be great.”

The team’s journey began on a positive note on Jan. 30 with a victory at Churchill, a fitting place to start what could be a great turnaround.

0
0