Indoor Track

With many new promising runners, the indoor track team is breezing through the season. Many posted successful runs in the crucial recent meets, such as the Montgomery Invitational, Virginia Tech Invitational and the Montgomery County championships.

At the Montgomery Invitational, which was hosted by WJ at the PG Sports and Learning Complex on Jan 10 th, more than 50 schools participated, but WJ was rarely below the top 20.

Individually, junior Chaucia Sydnor came in 10th in the 55 meter dash, and junior Jenna Willett finished 9th in the 800 meter run.

“I feel very good about my open 800,” said Willett. “Our team as a whole is very strong, and I think we will go very far.”

In the recent Virginia Tech Invitational, held on Jan. 23 , the boys placement of eighth out of the 50 teams that participated in the men’s 4×800 meter relay was one of the notable achievements of the indoor track team. Senior Roni Teich also finished 15th in the boys 1600 meter run. The girls relay team, composed of sophomores Camille Bouvet and Maria Moersen, junior Johna Applestein and Willett, finished 15th in the 4×800 meter relay.

In the Montgomery County Championships, held on Jan. 26, senior Christine Walsh finished fourth in the girls 55 meter hurdles. Junior Sean O’ Leary, sophomores Nick Regan and Alex Willett and senior Roni Teich and the girls relay team both excelled in the 4×800 meter relays, finishing fifth and sixth, respectively. Overall, the boys placed ninth in the team rankings while girls placed seventh.

Tom Martin, who coaches the distance team, explained why the indoor track team is not as dominating as they were in cross country.

“The distance events are only one part of indoor track,” said Martin. “There are 13 events and we need sprinters, jumpers and throwers too.”

Willett predicted that the girls 4×800 team would run in the states, which is composed with the same members who ran the counties.

Martin predicted better results for the spring season.

“We are transitioning to shorter tracks [for track & field],” said Martin. “We will be very good this year.”

0
0