JV Players to Watch for Varsity Level Next Year

As the spring season comes to a close, the focus shifts to the next year. Varsitycoaches begin to figure out how to fill holes left by graduating seniors. In particular, rising juniors are most relevant, as they will be expected to step up from JV and contribute to varsity level teams.

Looking back on the recent JV seasons for baseball, softball and girls lacrosse, here are the players who should have the smoothest transition to the varsity level.

Girls Lacrosse:

With the departures of graduating seniors defenseman Paige Keller and goalie Paige Waqa, there will be a huge void to fill on the back end of the field. Sophomore defender Jilly Mahoney should slip right in after displaying exceptional athleticism and hustle on the JV squad.

“She brought passion, hustle, tenacity and a fire to the field each game,” said JV head coach Sarah Bieber. Mahoney’s overwhelming grit is expected to help in adapting to the speed of the varsity level.

Baseball:

With a team-oriented mindset and tremendous versatility, sophomore Kyle Lopez should step right in and make an impact on the varsity team next year. Lopez has demonstrated slick fielding skills and a solid hitting approach at the dish.

“Kyle was a consistent hitter all season long for us and has the ability to play both the infield and outfield very well,” said JV head coach Christopher Murray. One of varsity’s biggest losses, senior second baseman Brad Hampton, just happens to play Lopez’s natural position, so an opportunity to start awaits him.

Softball:

Sophomore Claire Weitzner played the role of captain on this year’s JV team while still producing on the field. Thanks to her height, she fit the mold of a prototypical first baseman and added a presence to the lineup.

“Claire became one of our biggest hitters having scored some triples and a home run throughout the season,” said JV head coach Anne Sexton. Next year, Weitzner could play a factor with her potential power at the plate as she will work to share time at first with junior Amy Caplon.

0
0