WJ athletics winds down despite historic year

With WJ’s year in sports concluded, we can now look back on some awesome games and memorable seasons.  Fans saw improvements from many teams since last year, which is something to cherish in the years to come.

Fall: In the fall, boys soccer put together another solid season.  They spent most of the year ranked in the All Met rankings.  The team was led by a good group of veteran seniors, some who are signed to play in college, as well as a very talented group of juniors.  Thus, the Cats will still be loaded with talented players next year. In addition, head coach Hector Morales was named Maryland coach of the year, which is a huge honor given how competitive public school soccer is in Maryland.  The football team improved and kept more games close this year.  The team won two games, which, although a small number, is an improvement on the previous season. Led by a talented junior class as well as senior QBs Ben Lake and and senior WR/return man Delano Munoz-Whatts, who has signed to play football at Rensselaer  Polytechnic Institute, they were a close knit and overall better team.

Winter:  The winter sports season was very interesting.  The big surprise was boys basketball.  After going winless last year, the team was not expected to be a winner this year. However, the boys put together seven wins and even toppled rival Churchill in a thriller. They were led by seniors Charlie Ali and Michael Mahdavi, who night-in, night-out put together good games and carried the team.  Many people believe the team could have been even more dangerous if coach Fairall involved athletic transfer Tony Goodwin in the offense more.  Thus said, the team improved and was more than an afterthought among the other teams in the county.

Spring:  The spring season was highlighted by the baseball and gymnastics teams. Gymnastics went undefeated during the season. They were led by senior Carly Mann and sophomores Kate Doreen and Haley Karp.  The baseball team finished the regular season with the best record in school history at 15-4. The team beat rivals Whitman, Blair and Churchill, among others.  Led by a very talented group of veteran seniors, the team will lose a significant chunk of their strength next year, but is confident that they will nevertheless be able to perform well next year.

Junior Leoardo Bucello, who ran track and played baseball and is an avid Wildcat athletic supporter believes the programs are only getting better,

“WJ athletics are on the rise.”

2
0