Daniel Cohen Hockey

Even though hockey is not a MCPS-sponsored sport, senior Daniel Cohen plays with the intensity of a pro. Cohen has 44 points this season, leading the team and ranking second in the Maryland Scholastic Hockey League (MSHL). Cohen already has more than doubled his point total from last season. He leads the team with 25 goals, along with 19 assists. His goal total ranks fifth in the league, while his assists rank third.

Cohen has been playing hockey since he was five, and he has been very involved with the sport ever since. His dedication to the game is something he takes pride in, whether it be for his club team or the school team.

“During the season, I’m on the ice at least eight times a week,” he said.

Along with the school team, Cohen also plays for the Washington Junior Nationals of the Atlantic Junior Hockey League, a team that is a junior affiliate with the Washington Capitals. The league has produced 43 Division I college players in the past four years.

A major turning point in Cohen’s hockey career was in eighth grade, when he was cut from a team. He used that experience as fuel and inspiration to become one of the best players on the team.

“As long as you’re willing to work hard and persevere, you’ll be happy with the result,” he said.

Since his brother Josh Cohen started playing ice hockey for WJ, Cohen has become an advocate of the game.

He has improved his game over the 12 years he has been playing, developing into the type of player he is today. He is one of the most experienced players on the ice, wherever he plays. However, he admits he wouldn’t be here without the help of his teammates.

“I’ve learned about the importance of being a good teammate, because without your teammates you are nothing,” said Cohen. “Especially in hockey.”

0
0