Go Big or Go Home: Shaun White

He has his own video game, he won gold at the 2006 Winter Olympics and has medaled in both the Winter and Summer X Games. The extreme sport prodigy, snowboarder and skateboarder Shaun White, holds the Winter X Games record for most medals, with 16.

A head turner since the age of seven, White has evolved into the face of next generation snowboarding and skateboarding. White first competed in an amateur snowboarding competition when he was seven years old, leaving with a gold medal and a ticket to Nationals. Just as White began grabbing attention as a snowboarder, he also caught the eyes of the skateboarding elite. While skateboarding at a local park, White impressed the likes of halfpipe skateboardng legend Tony Hawk. Hawk was the first to spot White’s potential, taking him under his wing, and helping him turn pro at the age of 17.

In 2003, White became the first athlete to compete and earn a medal in both the Winter and Summer X Games, a feat that is up there with Wilt Chamberlain’s 100 and Ted Williams’ .409 average.

White’s accomplishments go on, but what is most impressive is what he is capable of. At this year’s Olympic qualifier, he became the first to land back-to-back double corking jumps – also known as a twisting double back flip. Just as you think there’s no trick left for him to pull off, he’ll prove you wrong and then some.

Watch for White to shred the halfpipe with his signature Double McTwist 1260, and take home gold with ease on Wednesday, Feb. 17. Oh, and try not to drop your jaw.

0
0