Reviewing one of the best days in sports this year

The winner, American Pharaoh (blue), crosses the finish line at the 2015 Kentucky Derby.
Photo courtesy of flickr/LeStudio1.com

On May 2, the whole country stopped what it was doing to enjoy one of the greatest days in sports that the world has seen in a long time.

In the morning, soccer fans got their dose of the English Premier League.  As the day continued, rounds 4-7 of the NFL Draft took place in Chicago. Additionally, a full slate of Saturday MLB games added to the festive nature of the day.  The NHL and NBA playoffs also had games. Later, the famous horse race, the Kentucky Derby, failed to disappoint. To cap the night off, one of the most hyped-up boxing matches ever, Mayweather vs Pacquiao, took place in the early morning hours. The Pitch Online recaps the exciting day.

Rounds 4-7 of the NFL Draft:  Local teams each had multiple picks last Saturday.  The Ravens had three picks in round four and drafted OLB Za’ Darius Smith from the University of Kentucky, RB Javorius Allen from USC and CB Tray Walker from Texas Southern University.  To round out the draft, they selected TE Nick Boyle from the University of Delaware, G Robert Myers from Tennessee State University and WR Darren Waller from Georgia Tech.  The Redskins also had a productive draft in the later rounds.  They started things off in the fourth round with an explosive WR from Duke, Jasmison Crowder, and followed him up with G Arie Kouandjio from the University of Alabama, ILB Martrell Spaight and CB Tevin Mitchel from the University of Arkansas, SS Kyshoen Jarrett from Virginia Tech, WR Evan Spencer from Ohio State University, and C Austin Reiter from the University of South Florida.

MLB:  Both the Nationals and Orioles won their games last Saturday.  The Nationals beat the New York Mets at Citi Field in New York with a score of 1-0, and the Orioles beat the Tampa Bay Rays in a home game played in Tampa Bay due to the riots in Baltimore.

NBA Playoffs:  Even though there was only one NBA playoff game on Saturday, it was a thriller.  The San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Clippers battled in a game seven win or go home for each team.  The Clips came out on top with a final score of 111-109 with a wild finish in Los Angeles.

NHL Playoffs:  There was also only one NHL Playoff game on Saturday, but it was a good one.  The Washington Capitals lost to the New York Rangers 3-2 in game two to tie the series at 1-1.

Kentucky Derby:  In the 141th annual horse race, American Pharaoh, who was cast as the favorite, took the win in a thrilling finish, barely edged out Firing Line, who finished second and Dortmund, who came in third. reword, kinda confusing

The Fight:  In one of the most anxiously anticipated fights of the decade, Floyd Mayweather beat Manny Pacquiao in the full 12 rounds by decision.  The fight was attended by many celebrities, including Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Tom Brady, Donald Trump, Denzel Washington, Clint Eastwood, Mark Wahlberg, Michael Jordan, Lil Wayne, Meek Mill, Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber. Overall, the fight didn’t disappoint, as it was neck-and-neck between the two boxers for a long time before Floyd’s defense began to show and started to wear down Pacquiao towards the last two rounds.

0
0