Did you receive your weekly H.U.G.? Nov. 11-17

Home On Wed., Oct. 24, part one of the UMD Mathematics Competition was held for WJ students in the auditorium at the beginning of eighth period. Almost twice the number of students showed up compared with last year’s roster — 52 students sat in for the hours-long test. The results, announced that three students had made it onto the second and final round, including juniors Timothy Chen and Franklin Floresca and senior Christian Sanders. These students will compete on Nov. 28 at WJ for a chance to win a full ride to UMD and cash prizes. (Source: Amy Watkins, Math Team Sponsor)

United States-  CIA director David H. Petraeus resigned Friday, Nov. 9 after a sex scandal involving Paula Broadwell, his biographer and fellow West Point graduate.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D), head of the Senate Intelligence Community, noted on Fox News, “We received no advance notice; it was like a lightning bolt.” But the scandal reached much further than simple adultery. Two Fridays ago the FBI also started investigating a possible security breach related to Petraeus, who is under suspicion of sharing classified information with Broadwell. Emails supposedly found involving Broadwell raised questions over whether she was given access to part of Petraeus’ schedule not available to the public. While Petraeus readily admitted to his affair with Broadwell and accepted the consequence thereof, he continues to maintain the position that he did not break any laws. (Source: CNN.com)

Globe-  The Israeli shelling of Gaza has, so far, racked up a death toll totaling 15 people, including Ahmed al-Jabari, a Hamas military commander. This Thursday, Nov. 15 at 1 a.m. Washington time, a missile strike to an apartment building on the Gaza strip killed two men and one woman, and critically injured an 11-month old baby. Israel was targeting Hamas leaders and holdings and the attacks are being called into question by some Middle East leaders, and Egypt, condemning Israel’s actions, removed its ambassador to Israel in response to the targeting of al-Jabari. Hamas forces struck back against the death of al-Jabari, and civilians noted that the terrorist organization had already returned fire with a recent rocket strike. One hundred and fifty rockets have already been fired into Israel, two of which were interrupted by Israel’s Iron Dome defense system.

Deputy Spokesperson Mark C. Toner said Wednesday in a press statement that, “we regret the death and injury of innocent Israeli and Palestinian civilians caused by the ensuing violence.” If the situation heightens much more, many are expressing concern both for the political status of the Middle East, and for its steadily-rising death toll. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton travelled to the Middle East in order to propagate a cease-fire, a move which signifies America’s growing role in the situation. (Sources: Washingtonpost.com, Foxnews.com)

0
0