WJ Fall Sports Season Halfway Through

Field Hockey: The Field Hockey team is looking to keep up their previous success under new coach Ameliet Rischen. with a 3-5 record with wins against Blair, Richard Montgomery, and Northwood. Senior Claire Lorenzetti leads the team with four goals, and sophomore Courtney Christian and senior Mackenzie Johnson lead the team with two assists each. The team has two more home games this season against rivals Whitman and Churchill.

Girls Volleyball: Girls’ Volleyball also has a new coach this season, Jason Lee. They hope to bounce back from a previous 5-10 season. Senior outside hitter and captain Emily Burk is leading the team with 28 kills. Senior Mary Kate Greening leads the team with 66 blocks.  The team has four more home games left, the next on Wednesday against Whitman.

Boys Soccer: The boy’s soccer team is coming in to their next game with a 6-1-1 record under secondyear coach Hector Morales. They have substantial victories over St John’s and Gonzaga, two very competitive Catholic schools.  Juniors Jinon Seo and Giles Beven lead the team in goals and assists thus far this season, with 3 goals and 2 assists respectively.The boys will take the field 4 more times at home this season, with a tough match-up against Whitman next.

Girls Tennis: The girl’s tennis team hopes to rebound off of a 6-6 year under second year coach Mitchell Duque. The team enter their next match at Whitman with a 5-4 record. They have one more home match against Blake.

Click to View Full-Screen Image

Junior receiver Christian Campbell makes a catch against Wootton earlier this season. (Photo: WJ Phanfare Photo Gallery)

Cross Country: Both the boys’ and girls’ cross country teams are off to a sensational start. The boys are undefeated in their division and come off a victory in the Boys Large School race at the Bull Run Invitational, with senior JP Burklow leading the way in third place. The girls, led by senior Kiernan Keller, are also undefeated in their division and fresh off of a team win at the Bull Run Invitational in Hereford, MD. WJ’s top three runners finished in the top 5.

Golf: The WJ golf team has maintained exceptional play as of late. The team finished second in their division, third in the districts, and have their eyes set on the state championship where they believe they have a fair shot at taking the title. The team is led by  sophomores Taso Scilaris, Noah Moss, Jordan Bobb, freshman Spencer Brody, and senior Josh Jacobs, all players who finished within the top 15 in scoring on the season.

Football: Off to an 0-5 start, WJ’s football squad is looking to turn things around after a completely dismal season.  The biggest test of the season will come next week when the team makes the 120 mile two-hour trip to Cumberland, MD to face undefeated Fort Hill high school.

Girls Soccer: WJ girls soccer is off to an undefeated, 5-0 season. Their exceptional play has been highlighted by an outstanding 11 goals from sophomore Cammie Murtha. Moving forward, the team hopes to maintain their superb play with 3 key match-ups against rivals Churchill, Whitman, and B-CC.

0
0