Soul Men Perform as Expected in Decent Comedy

Soul Men is the story of at odds bandmates, Louis Hinds (the always loveable Samuel L. Jackson) and Floyd Henderson (played by the recently deceased comedy legend Bernie Mac) as they team up for a cross country trip to the Apollo Theatre for a reunion performance.  The two haven’t spoken for over 20 years because of a rift over a woman, and Mac and Jackson capture this unique, strained chemistry perfectly, all the while peppering the film with their own classic senses of humor (often due to the uproarious vulgarity of their language).

Much of the laughs are derived from the sheer presence of the two legends, heightened by a mediocre script and the actors’ ability to shape it to the best fit.  Take, for example, a scene in which the duo dances and sings along to “I’m Your Puppet” on a car radio, where the magnificent charisma of the two radiates from the screen.

Sadly, however, much of the intended comedy is old and expected, and if not delivered by Mac and Jackson, it would have been a much bigger deal. But the truth is, these two are some of the rare performers who can take these scripts, the ones dotted with generic attempts at slapstick and sex-related humor, and still create a positive viewing experience due to their uniquely vibrant energy, especially as a duo.

Mac (who died due to a rare illness in his lungs) passed away shortly after filming, making it easy to speculate that the quality of the film was unfairly skewed by the sentimental value of this last performance.  But in the end, it is his passing that is made more significant, as Soul Men serves as a final tribute to the talents of the comedy legend, and in the end, a film worth seeing, whether it be for the laughs, the chemistry, or even the significance of the departed cast members. (soul icon and also recently deceased Isaac Hayes guest stars as himself.)

Relying heavily on the endearing spark of the cast of renowned performers, this is a comedy that manages to create a valuable depth, no matter how many times you’ve seen the movie before.

0
0