Book Review: Of Mice and Men

Most assigned English books have a reputation for being tortuously dull; however, I was pleased to find that Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is quite the opposite. This novel describes the tragic tale of two friends named George and Lenny, and their desperate pursuit of the American dream.

The plot is filled with violence and excitement that successfully captivates readers and pulls them into the story.  It is also a relatively simple and understandable read, with clear, concise language and a plot that is not too difficult to follow. 

One thing that sets it apart from the other required reading books is its size.  It is very small and compact, with only 100 pages; however don’t let that throw you off guard. For such a small book, it’s packed with a surprising amount of emotion and descriptive story telling that’s just itching to be dissected and analyzed in every possible way. Be prepared to spend hours of class time scouring every page for hidden meanings, metaphors and microcosms. As you study microcosms, miniature, analogy-like versions of larger things that have happened in the world, you will find it to be one of the most tedious but unavoidable aspects of English 9, as will be searching for metaphors and other forms of figurative language. However, despite the over-analysis, Of Mice and Men proved to be a riveting and engaging story worthy of a recommendation. Crooks represents African Americans, Curly’s wife represents women, George and Lenny represent all of the poor Americans with big dreams, and it’s just like a mini world.

0
0