Movie Review: Avatar

Avatar is by far the greatest visual experience in the history of cinematography.

Its greatness lies not in its plot nor script, which are expectable and cliché, but rather in its value as a nature film which focuses on the beauty and dynamism of the exotic alien planet, Pandora. Although much of the organisms and geographic structures on the planet are based off of our planet, others are amazingly original and creative.

But the lackluster plot spoils the potential of the scenery. The film is very redolent of Kevin Costner’s 1990 “Dances with Wolves” and Walt Disney’s 1995 “Pocahontas.” The plot is simple, predictable and way overused; a white man with typical white prejudices lives with the natives of an unexplored land. He goes native, and discovers that his true allegiance lies with his new aboriginal friends.

Although still a compelling experience, Avatar did not live up to its potential. It failed on its opportunity to be a one of a kind masterpiece, astonishing viewers with breathtaking graphics, and an original and mind stimulating plot.

0
0