“Gravity” Soars

Alfonso Cuaron’s thriller “Gravity” isn’t just a movie; it’s an experience.  The 3D thriller set a box office record for the month of October by earning $55.6 million in U.S. and Canadian theatres, and for good reason.  This movie is an instant science fiction classic.

The movie stars seasoned Hollywood veterans Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as two astronauts on a mission in space.  Bullock wows as Dr. Ryan Stone, a novice astronaut and engineer on her first trip to space.  Clooney plays her experienced mission commander Matt Kowalski, who is eager to break the moonwalking record during his last trip to space.  The movie begins as the mission is winding down, and everything appears to be going smoothly.  However, after the Russians demolish an obsolete satellite, debris flies through space and hits the American spacecraft hard. The impact sends the duo soaring through space, with both their oxygen and hope of returning to Earth quickly running out.

Dr. Ryan Stone is a nervous, middle-aged woman whose daughter passed away in an accident when she was only 4 years old.  Bullock uses a range of complex emotions to illustrate that, not only did she deserve her first Oscar for her role in “The Blind Side,” but that she also deserves another one.  For a large portion of the film, Bullock is the only actor on screen, but her presence is enough for multiple actors.

Matt Kowalski adds a much-needed comic relief to the intense film.  Kowalski attacks the dramatic accident with a lighthearted take.  From the first time he opens his mouth onscreen, the audience can’t help but love him.  He charms with story after story, and his foreshadowing catchphrase, “I have a bad feeling about this mission”.   He evokes some of the confidence and easy-going personality that Clooney himself possesses in real life.

The movie’s soundtrack is a masterpiece within itself.  Suspenseful classical music plays in times of suspense and danger, keeping the audience on the edges of their seats.  However, the truly interesting background noise is when there is utter silence.  The lack of noise reminds the audience that space is truly an abyss, and the characters truly are all alone, surrounded by nothingness.

The visuals of the movie are stunning and feel incredibly real.  The viewers are transported to space immediately upon the first brilliant 13-minute shot of outer space.  Although the audience is well aware of the fact that the movie wasn’t actually shot in space, they will quickly forget and feel like they’ve been transported to space along with the astronauts.

If you’re looking for a factual movie about astronauts and a realistic interpretation of what would really happen if two astronauts got lost in space, than this is not a movie for you.  There are several unrealistic and incorrect events that occur in the film. However, it does not matter.  Viewers of the film will choose to believe in the movie because the movie works so hard to feel real  to its audience, and succeeds.  The audience will hold its breath in anticipation, get goose bumps in excitement and tear up with emotion.  We do not really get lost in space with these characters, but we certainly feel like it.

0
0