Trillectro Music Festival returns to DMV – Preview

Trillectro%E2%80%99s+2018+lineup+features+big+names+such+as+SZA%2C+2+Chainz%2C+RL+Grime+and+more.+The+festival+will+take+place+at+Merriweather+Post+Pavilion+in+Columbia+on+Saturday+Sept.+22.+
Artwork by Trillectro
Trillectro’s 2018 lineup features big names such as SZA, 2 Chainz, RL Grime and more. The festival will take place at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia on Saturday Sept. 22.

After taking a year off, cross-genre music festival Trillectro is back and bigger than ever. Headlined by break-out R&B sensation SZA and featuring sets from 2 Chainz, RL Grime, Young Thug and more; this year’s lineup is stacked.

This year, students can save big by using the code “MattThePlug” when buying tickets for the event to get $20 off their purchase. The festival is slated to take place from noon to 11 p.m. on Saturday Sept. 22 at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, the same venue as the event’s most recent iteration in 2016.

“I loved Trillectro [2016] because it was such a great experience,” senior Karina Lee said. “Hanging out with friends all day and night and jamming to my favorite music is the best.”

Anything can happen at Trillectro. In 2016, Kid Cudi premiered his then-unreleased Pharrell Williams collab “Surfin’,” which at the time was called “Magic.” At the same festival, local artist GoldLink brought out DC rapper Shy Glizzy. The pair would later go on to work together with Baltimore singer Brent Faiyaz on “Crew,” arguably the biggest song in the DMV last year, which is now both Grammy-nominated and double platinum. In 2014, Big Sean brought out fellow G.O.O.D. Music signee Travis Scott to perform a surprise set. A$AP Ferg did the same with A$AP Rocky the year before. Who knows what this year’s festival holds in store.

“I am very excited to hang out with friends and get to see 2 Chainz as well as Playboi Carti,” senior Luel Alemu said.

Not only will the festival feature prominent artists at the forefront of hip hop and R&B, but it will also highlight rising talent from all over the DMV. Some of the local artists featured on this year’s lineup include Rico Nasty, Soduh and Innanet James, the latter of whom just dropped his new album “Keep It Clean” on Sept. 14.

“Come support DMV rappers like Innanet James and Soduh,” sophomore Kobe Villordo said.

0
0