These Boots are Made for Assisting: New Administrator Fran Irvin is a “Breath of Fresh Air”

“She’s kind of like a breath of fresh air. She’s different,” said Main Office Secretary Rochelle Kohn, who found it difficult to describe new Assistant Principal and 10th and 12th grade administrator in only three words. “Different” happens to describe Fran Irvin precisely.

Not many staff members walk around the school in cowboy boots, love to dig in the dirt, ride horses, barbecue, open their hearts and homes to one dog (Abby), three cats (Emily, Bliz and Tommy), and one bearded dragon (Tweak).
Even fewer have gone scuba diving during a severe tropical storm in the Yucatan.

“I do not recommend it EVER,” wrote Irvin in an e-mail about this experience.

Irvin joined the WJ community this year after Community Superintendent Frank Stetson contacted her. Prior to working at WJ, Irvin was principal of the Mark Twain School, a school for emotionally disturbed students with learning problems that closed this summer.  

“We met in his office and I told him I would go where I could be of the greatest assistance to students and staff,” said Irvin of her meeting with Stetson.  “I subsequently received a call from [Principal Christopher] Garran, whom I had known from our high school principal meetings. He graciously welcomed me to WJ.”

Irvin was born in Colorado Springs, Colo. and grew up in El Paso, Texas. She attended Coronado High School where she showed her athleticism playing volleyball, basketball, softball and track and field.

In 1982 she earned her Bachelor of Science Degree in Elementary Education and Special Education from the University of Texas at El Paso and later in 1995 received her Master of Education in School Administration from Sul Ross State University.

Irvin realized on a sixth grade trip to Six Flags Over Texas she wanted to dedicate her life to helping others.

“I witnessed a young boy manage his coin purse with only flippers for arms,” she said. “He had used the side of the building to zip and unzip his pouch and concession attendants tenderly provided him with what he ordered.”      

Irvin noticed a group of bullies laughing at the young boy after he dropped his purse and helplessly tried to pick it up. She felt an immediate impulse to help him.    

“As he accepted the purse our eyes met and in an instant, without words, he communicated the challenges of his existence,” Irvin said. “His face expressed pained gratitude for my small act of kindness. That was the moment that I knew my life would be one dedicated to service.”    

And helping others is exactly what Irvin does. She was hired in 1982 by the Canutillo Texas School District where she worked for ten years. First teaching reading to grades four through six, she later transitioned to special education where she implemented the first age appropriate self- contained classroom, a classroom in which students share similar academic requirements.     

In 1992 Irvin became the central office administrator with the Department of Special Education for Transition Services in the El Paso Independent School District where she pushed for course offerings in building trades, culinary arts and horticulture. The Occupational Center was built to assist at risk and special education high school students.   

Very active in everything she’s been involved in, Irvin hopes to engage with students on a personal level.    

“I would love the opportunity for the community to get to know me and understand that I truly love working with students,” said Irvin. “I am getting involved with student activities and you will find me interacting with everyone I meet.”    

She is more than willing to help and give her advice to anyone that needs it.            

“Remember, I have an open door policy,” said Irvin. “Come see me even if only to say hello.”    

In the future, Irvin plans to keep on helping others and spreading her joy for life. 

“I will continue this life’s journey being of assistance where I may, sew seeds of hope and do whatever I can to ease our beautiful planet’s burdens.”

0
0