Not Your Typical Future Plans: Culinary School

Senior Mitzi Barrera has always loved to cook. She has fond reminiscences of cooking throughout her childhood. From the ripe age of five when she would help in the kitchen, Barrera knew she wanted to pursue cooking. As she grew older, continuing to cook at home and work in family restaurants and bakeries during the summer, Barrera’s interest in cooking and the culinary arts only grew stronger. Cooking became something that Barrera cherished and it has always provided her with an outlet of expression.

“I noticed that when I cooked I felt happy,” said Barrera.

Set on finding a school that would allow her to continue with her dreams, Barrera began to research the possibilities of attending culinary school in college.

“I love cooking and I want to have a career where I [can] do something that I love and won’t get tired of,” said Barrera.

She began by looking on the Internet and requesting brochures from a variety of schools. Once she started receiving brochures in the mail from the school, it became clear to Barrera that the Culinary Institute of America (CIA), was just the right place for people enthusiastic and passionate about cooking. Barrera found her match.

“After I began receiving brochures on schools and I read the brochure for the CIA I thought, ‘this school is great,’” said Barrera. “I realized that if I go to this school I can greatly improve my skills.”

Designed in 1946, the CIA is a private, “not-for-profit” college dedicated to “providing the world’s best professional culinary education.” With campuses in New York, California, and Texas, there are many options for students, like Barrera, interested in pursuing a career in the culinary field. According to the CIA’s Web site, the San Antonio campus that Barrera will be attending this fall has its own unique objective.

“Through educational programs our goal is to elevate Latin American cuisine to its rightful place among great cuisines of the world.”

While Barrera was originally planning on attending the main campus in New York, the fact that her family is moving to Texas after graduation led her to choose San Antonio.

“I heard that both campuses are great,” she said.

0
0