Up At Bat: Twenty Years Ago, Did You Think You Would be Where You are Today?

Up At Bat: TEACHER EDITION

Twenty years ago, did you think you would be where you are today?

As a high school drop-out, social studies teacher Nathan Schwartz never planned on being a teacher. However, after doing non-people-oriented jobs for years, he eventually realized that working with kids was his true calling.

English teacher Joanne Reynolds had many career goals before teaching. She dreamed of being a famous journalist, yet when she realized she wasn’t suited for the field, she came into teaching. However, she openly admits to having hated teaching initially. Happy to say, Reynolds is happy now teaching ninth grade English at WJ.

Administrative assistant Marie Sharpe, who is new to WJ this year, isn’t exactly where she thought she would be 20 years ago. While Sharpe hoped she would be a retired grandmother at this stage in her life, she is still happy to be spending her days in the main office, working for assistant principal Janan Slough.

To Tech Ed teacher Kevin Daney, it is no surprise that he spends his days in a classroom. He planned his college career towards being a teacher, and has been in the field ever since graduating college.

Social studies teacher Steve Miller says he never thought he would be spending his days teaching in a classroom and grading papers. He thought he would be working in the Senate as he was over 20 years ago. While he jokes that he questions whether or not becoming a teacher was the right decision, he has made quite the career out of teaching and become an important figure in the WJ community.

Twenty years ago, assistant principal Fran Irvin never imagined herself being an administrator of a high school. However, she loves what she does, especially interacting with and helping students, and has enjoyed “the ride” her career has taken her on.

VIDEOS EDITED & PRODUCED BY ABBY SINGLEY
FILMED BY ANDREA LINDER

0
0