Stressing Over Stress

Stress is the perennial plague of the high school student. We’ve all experienced it, even those of us who pretend to be immune. In fact, perhaps high school wouldn’ t be complete without it.

The high school experience often includes that last-minute test cramming, the late-night essay writing and the furious scribbling of Spanish homework in the few, rapidly disappearing seconds before the lunch bell.

But, stress does not always mean distress. In fact, our bodies’ stress reaction can boost performances and promote productivity, according to the American Institute of Mental Health. However, excessive stress can be tough on our bodies and create various physical and emotional repercussions.

Common symptoms of excessive stress range from headaches, back aches and sweaty palms to breathing problems, panic attacks and insomnia. Stress can also have significant negative effects on mental health. Some common and familiar responses to stress are changes in appetite, changes in weight, reduced amounts of sleep, disorganization, difficulty concentrating, irritability and reduced work productivity and efficiency, according to the American Institute of Mental Health.

“When I’m stressed out my face completely breaks out,” said senior Laura Leon. “I feel gross and tired.”

Stress is becoming more and more prevalent in the lives of high school students. High school rigor creates pressure to take more and more AP classes and cram schedules with extra-curriculars.

According to a 2005 poll taken by the Washington Post, the Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard University, 58 percent of D.C. area students surveyed said school was their biggest cause of stress. About 35 percent of local teens said they experienced stress regularly, compared with the 27 percent of teens nationwide. Some experts even say stress in America is reaching epidemic proportions.

Especially for juniors and seniors, college is a huge contributor to stress. The uncertainty of the future, the many essays, the application forms, the strict deadlines and the standardized testing all contribute.

“There’s more pressure this year because of college apps, getting all the paperwork in by the deadlines, and trying to get good grades,” said Leon.

While it might seem that stress is taking over your life and the lives of everyone around you, there is good news on the horizon: stress can be beaten. There are many different techniques to reduce stress, not all of which are right for everyone. The American Institute of Mental Health suggests exercising, engaging in enjoyable activities, sleeping, meditating and simply laughing.

“I try to watch TV when I finish my homework.  I also try to run for 20 minutes each day,” said Leon. “In the future, I would definitely want to start yoga to relieve some of my stress.”

Stress does not have to be an inevitable part of the high school experience. It can be avoided by prioritizing and managing time. Remember that while homework is important, it is not worth losing sleep or melting down. We will probably experience stress throughout our lives: in college, in employment, and in relationships. Knowing when enough is enough can be an important factor when balancing and prioritizing amongst various responsibilities.

0
0