Baking For a Cause

The problem? Hunger pains, and the unanswered desire to help out in the community. The solution? WJ’s Baking Club.

Founded over the summer by junior President Elise Rudt and described by sophomore Secretary Ben Crites as simply “baketastic,” the club meets at alternating club member houses to bake, meets on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Social Studies teacher Jennifer Hall’s room to plan and focuses on throwing bake sales and donating proceeds to benefit those in need. Thus far, they have thrown a successful sale for the NIH Children’s Inn, and expect many more bake sales in the future.

Although junior Vice President Shiri Brodsky admits that the club has been facing some organizational issues as of late, she attributes this to the stress of the end of the first semester, and anticipates the development of a well-organized club as the year progresses.

“We’re open to new people coming,” she said. “We’d love to hear their ideas and we plan to have more events in the future, to hold bake sales, and to fundraise for new causes.”

These prospective causes include raising money for educational scholarships for children in Kenya and other collaborative programs with Key Club and Teens with a Cause.

And, as for any mandatory prior experience for potential club members, let’s just say that literacy places among the few prerequisites. Because the club bakes a broad array of baked goods, spanning from simple to complex recipes, anybody with the desire to bake can find something to do. The Baking Club is open to anybody who would like to join, and the club officials have nothing but optimism for its future.

“Baking club isn’t going away anytime soon,” said Crites. “I’m a sophomore, so I’ll make sure when [the other officers] graduate, baking club will go on.”

0
0