Student Government 101: A Wrap-Up of the Junior and Senior Classes

The Junior Class

By Wahid Ishrar

This year’s junior class officers consist of President Chris McCurry, Vice President Ty Glover, Secretary Gabe Vostal and Treasurer Defne Dilsiz. McCurry and Glover have held their respective positions for the past three years, while Dilsiz joined this year.

McCurry will serve as SGA President for the upcoming school year of 2012, while Glover will serve as SGA Vice President.

They are proud of everything they have accomplished this year and also have high hopes for their senior year. However, the junior class officers are particularly proud of their homecoming hallway, which is an annual opportunity for each class to show their school spirit.

“Every year this class has come together for the homecoming hallway,” says Glover.

The MCR meetings were something that was close to this class’ heart, and they feel very proud of how  many they have managed to attend, especially with all the stress that comes with junior year. McCurry feels that even more could have been accomplished in those meetings if the MCR members had communicated their workloads and advice, such as how to organize fundraising events and how to spend the money, to each other.

The junior class officers shared advice to other students who are planning on running for office in future years.

“Go for it, unless you’re running against me,” said Dilsiz.

According to Vostal, the most important step in campaigning is coming up with a good slogan, and others agree that Facebook groups helped their campaigns a lot.

The Senior Class 

By Sabrina Clarke

The 2012 senior class officers consisted of President Tyler Huyser, Vice President Annie Ezekilova, Secretary Catie Kidwell and Treasurer Kirk Savidis. All agreed they had done pretty well, with their high point being the success of the Pennies for Patients fundraising events.

“We did events we didn’t have to do like WJ Glow and some music company fundraisers,” said Huyser.

The quartet executed all of their events without a hitch. They said all events were just carried out better than previous years.

“[This year] was just really well organized,” said Kidwell.

Savidis felt there were some things that could have been executed better.

Savidis, encouraging honesty among the others, explained that they had a tendency to do several things last minute.

They advised the future officers to avoid procrastination. They also said it was important to stay organized and micromanage the work.

“People skills and [having] a good personality are also good skills to have,” said Huyser.

“You need to have patience and hear [people] out,” says Ezekilova.

The officers feel up and coming officers should be ready for the many spirit days as they take a huge prevalence in the school year.

0
0