Student Profile: Coty Novak

Coty Novak poses in front of the auditorium.
Photo by Julieta Gozalo-Michaud

Few students can juggle their schedules seamlessly but senior Coty Novak is an exception. He is currently involved with Mock Trial, Forensics, Debate, S*T*A*G*E, the Live Life To the Fullest and Model UN clubs. In addition, he is enrolled in AP courses and the APEX program.

But, of all the numerous activites that Novak is involved in, one of the ones he is most passionate about is Mock Trial. There are two Mock Trial teams , run by teachers Steven Miller and Nathan Schwartz. The teams never meet or share practices, since they compete against each other each season. Novak is currently on Miller’s team.

“Every case is sort of like a puzzle,” said Novak. “It’s something you really have to get down and analyze, and look at all the little legal statutes that are related. I get to decide what witnesses are good for what, what questions to ask them, what ways to cross-examine them… and Mock Trial, of course is this perfect blend of debate and theater.”

Novak says he plans on going further with Mock Trial in college.

“I think that law is something that I’m really interested in. So, getting the opportunity to practice that, I guess, is really fun.”

0
0