Kelly Butler: Taking the Lead in Musical Classrooms

Kelly Butler works to make learning fun.
Photo by Hitomi Mochizuki

This is the moment she has been waiting for. The lights are dim, and the faint sound of string instruments echo on the stage. In a few short minutes, the performance will be over and the orchestra will either be filled with joy, or shadowed with regret. Kelly Butler conducts orchestra and chorus at WJ, thereby ensuring that everyone has the best performance possible.

Butler is a hard worker, and has always found a way to do what she loves, surrounded by the people she values. Butler said that she always knew she wanted to be a teacher, and found a way to chase that dream and have fun along the way.

“I always wanted to be a teacher. I’m not very good at practicing by myself, and if you’re a professional musician, you have to do that,” said Butler about her career in music.

Growing up, Butler was very involved with music. As a child, she spent most of her days practicing the violin. Butler said that she knew two things for certain at a young age: She wanted to teach, and wanted to be involved with music. She didn’t always focus on the violin, however; for a long time, Butler’s childhood was dedicated to chorus. Then, she discovered the flute, violin, and piano.

Butler’s favorite instrument is the cello.

“It’s just such an amazing sound, and it’s the lower octave, so that’s pretty,” she said.

She didn’t always hope to teach in Maryland, or even in the United States. Now, Butler has taught in many locations and says that she enjoyed every single one of them, especially South America.

“I taught strings in Colorado for six years, [student taught] in Texas, and I taught in South America for a few months. We were piloting a music program, so we were starting from scratch,” Butler said.

Wherever she teaches, Butler’s opinion about teaching music never varies.

“Seeing a piece of music when it finally clicks…[is] a great moment and so exciting,” said Butler.

Butler found her way to WJ because of her husband, another WJ teacher, Jeremy Butler, who grew up locally.

“We met in Colorado, totally by chance. Then we moved here, because we wanted to raise our family in a more diverse area. Working at WJ was not a goal, but here we are,” she said.

Freshman Elianne Sato is an active cellist in Butler’s Concert Orchestra class.

“She takes what you bring into the classroom and polishes it until you play like a professional. [It’s] only been two weeks, and my hands are better at playing, my fingers are quicker,” Sato said.

Butler’s advice to students who want to pursue a career in music is to take piano immediately, and join as many musical groups as possible, even if it is outside of their comfort zone. She said that she loves a good performance, but would rather see her classes rehearse.

Music is something Butler holds near and dear to her heart, and that shares with her students in the hope that they will become as passionate about music as she is.

“I think its such a great way to be involved with a group of people. It’s everything: It’s fun, it’s calming, it’s exciting, it’s challenging. And you get to do it with your friends, that’s the best part,” Butler said.

0
0