Math Honors Society puts a twist on Pi Day

For the past three years, WJ’s Math Honors Society has hosted an event for Pi Day, (3/14.) Pi Day represents the mathematical number 3.1415… which has become a big deal on March 14.

Typically, the society hosts an event on Mar. 14 to represent the important number. This year, however, the math honors society and WJ’s  math department have extended the event over numerous days to incorporate more activities and earn more funding for the society.

Head sponsor of the Math Honors Society, teacher Rachel Zussman, has helped plan the events along with members of the society.

“We did Pi Day events Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Monday. This is the first year that we are doing so many events. For the past three years the only Pi Day event we did was the Pi Recitation,” Zussman said.

This year, there have been many events, including the Pi recitation, where students recite as many numbers of Pi as possible.  There has also been a math-related movie showing after school called Stand and Deliver, and a Pie-IN-Your-Face event, where the math teacher who earned the most money in their jar will get the chance to get pied in the face. Additionally, there is an opportunity to buy slices of a variety of flavors of pie, from members of the honors society who are walking around selling slices.

“The money goes to the Math Honors Society. Right now we only have funds to cover the cots of cords at graduation and a certificate at initiation. Now we can do some activities we couldn’t before. Also, It will help go towards a better induction ceremony,” Zussman said.

Senior Ashleigh Wagar, a member of the Math Honors Society, has a say in the events that take place regarding Pi Day.

“This year we have added events such as the pie the teacher in the face competition, which has already helped bring in funding for the society. We also have started to sell individual slices of pie which has contributed too,” Wagar said.

Overall, the events helped to emphasize and teach students in a fun and creative way that the number Pi 3.14 is a very important mathematical number.

https://www.playbuzz.com/thepitchonline10/what-type-of-pie-are-you

3
0