The Timeless Focus of the Horology Society

With the ubiquity of cell phones, iPods and other electronics that all contain clocks, it seems that teenagers who wear watches are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

But for members of WJ’s Horology Society, created last November, this generalization does not hold true.

Horology, which is the art and science of making clocks or watches and measuring time, is a craft that is largely disappearing in today’s world. Members of the Horology Society, however, share an interest in watches and in the ancient art of their construction.

“[At monthly meetings] we discuss watches and horological happenings,” said the club’s president and founder, junior Seth Gottlieb. “There’s also a show-and-tell section.”

While some of the club’s members have relatives whose interest in horology was the catalyst for their own interests in clocks, others were drawn to this hobby on their own. 

“[I have] a natural-born interest in watches,” said vice president junior Nicholas Lee. “[Wristwatches] are a symbol of your time management and gentleman-ness.”

At a recent club meeting during lunch, all the members were wearing watches.

“Horology is an important hobby,” said Gottlieb. “I do watch repair myself . . . [and] it’s easier [to wear a watch]. Then I don’t have to take my phone out of my pocket to check the time.”

Because the club is quite new, it is still attracting new members. Gottlieb believes that the club will be able to continue after he and the club’s other upperclassmen officers graduate.

However, Horology Clubs seem to be rare among other area high schools.

“I haven’t heard of similar clubs at other schools,” said Gottlieb. “We’re unique.”

During the meeting, conversation turned to discussing the enduring competition between the U.S.’s two major watch companies, Rolex and Omega. According to club members, among people who wear high-quality watches, there is a divide between those who wear Rolexes and those who prefer Omegas. According to Gottlieb, both types of watches are mechanically the same, yet Rolexes are slightly more expensive.

“Rolex has the snob quality, but Omega is the everyday rich man’s watch,” said Gottlieb. “We’re all on the Omega side [of the divide].”

Lee concurred with Gottlieb’s opinion of the companies.

“Omega is not ostentatious,” said Lee.

Despite their similar opinions of these companies, Gottlieb and Lee differ on which aspect of horology they concentrate on the most.

“I focus more on the fashion of watches,” said Lee. 

Gottlieb, however, said that he concentrates more on the technical component of watch making.

“[Nicholas and I] make a good balance,” said Gottlieb.

Gottlieb’s main ambition for the Horology Society is to increase the prevalence of watch-wearers among WJ’s students. He hopes to do this by using the power of suggestion to encourgae people to wear watches.

“I want every student of every corner of every hallway at WJ to wear a watch,” said Gottlieb.

0
0